Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death Watch

• 08-12-2002 4:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

*SPOILERS INCLUDED*

Wow, a horror film set in the trenches of WWI? Now there's an original premise!

Unfotunately that's about all of the film that is... But that's not my gripe with the film. I've seen many a very cliche'd horror that is simply brilliant... It's the fact that it has such an uncomfortable setting, and a great atmosphere, which doesn't get used at all. No suspense, no tension, nothing. It's such a pity, as it was a film that really could've been a great horror.

And the 'suprise' ending? Yep, you've guessed it! I dont even need to say it, because it's evident about 2 minutes into the movie. You know it's coming, and the rest of the film is the cast being killed off in rather unispired fasion, building up for what you know is going to happen. *Yawn*

Of course, just because you know it's going to happen doesn't make the film crap. I mean, look at The Others... A truly suspensefull and unsettling peice of film-making. In fact, Death Watch had a far more unsettling setting, but it's just extremely disapointing when it goes so blatantly to waste.

But frankly, there's not a single scene in the film that I couldn't see coming from a mile away.

I wont give away anything, despite the fact that I really wouldn't be able to give anything away, as it's all so blatantly obvious what happens next, and so fourth.

I guess I'm really just so dissapointed with the wealth of resource for true fear, that the director made no use of whatsoever. It could have easily been such a claustraphobic film, but beyond all sense, it's not!!! It's just such a fantastic setting for a horror!

Now, I'll admit that one of the reasons I went to see the film was because of Andy Serkis, the voice of Gollum in the Lord Of The Rings films. He played the steriotypical loose cannon of the lot, and basically seems just as much a nut-job at the start of the film, right up until he bites it. Frankly, I'd have loved to see him just slowly cracking like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Which could have been done easily, as Serkis is a genuinly menacing character, and definetly not the kinda fellow you'd like to meet down a dark alley.

In fact, most of the actors in the film were pretty damn good. I especially liked the Captain, as he did crack up rather shining-esque, and he seemed rather distant the whole time. Spooky.

Other than that, I'd say give it a miss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, everything Angelwhore said.

Bit of a wasted opportunity, to be honest. Yet another one where the trailer promised so much, but where the movie failed to deliver.

It started well - the first half hour was good scene setting. I really liked the scene with the german hiding in the mud. At that stage, I thought "hmmm.... this could be very good". But then it all went to hell. By the end of it, I have to say I was scratching my head wondering what it all means.

I mean,
    was the surviving german the kind of 'pinhead' character of the piece (for want of a better character comparison)? He told Shakespeare that he is allowed to live because he was the only one who showed compassion. But then another allied group showed up at the end and the whole thing started all over again (much to the twisted amusement of the German)

Some of the horror effects (particularly with the barb wire) were well done, and 2 or 3 scenes were well orchestrated, but for the most part, it was just such a wasted opportunity.

Some questions for those who have seen it -
    Who was the guy hiding in the barb wire that made the first killing? (I can't remember if it was before or after the German in the mud.) And why did Shakespeare see himself with all his fallen comrades at the end?

Anyway, 4/10. Could have been good.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by TmB
    Yeah, everything Angelwhore said.

Yeah, damn straight!
    Originally posted by TmB
    I mean,
    was the surviving german the kind of 'pinhead' character of the piece (for want of a better character comparison)? He told Shakespeare that he is allowed to live because he was the only one who showed compassion. But then another allied group showed up at the end and the whole thing started all over again (much to the twisted amusement of the German)
    He very much seemed to be. But that's another thing that annoyed me... In a lot of good, cheesy horror films there's always an overblown reason for the ghost/general evil, you know, a good mystery to why it's doing what it's doing. Frankly, I was waiting for this explanation right the way though the film, especially seeing as Andy Serkis picked up a rather medieval looking spiked club, that didn't really seem to belong there at all. As in maybe the German's uncovered an ancient grave, or something of such significance that could have explained what was going on. And exactly what is the significance of the German captive? I'm assuming whatever evil spirit resides in the trench took that form, as he seemed to be testing them to see who was a decent human being? But what exactly was he/it? There's no clue to it at all... I mean, is he some restless spirit who was left for dead, when he could have been saved easily, and is out for vengance? I mean, WHAT!? Seemed to be quite poorly written.
    Originally posted by TmB
    Who was the guy hiding in the barb wire that made the first killing? (I can't remember if it was before or after the German in the mud.) And why did Shakespeare see himself with all his fallen comrades at the end?
    The guy in the barbed wire was one of the bodies, I think, it happened after they found the German hiding in the mud. And I've ablsolutely no idea why the hell Shakespeare saw him and the squad, it didn't really make much sense. Like I said, it just seemed very poorly written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, badly written alright. Even if
    the german had explained something, ANYTHING AT ALL, then it might have given the movie some merit. But no, we're just left scratching out heads.

Oh well..... next question. Who is going to be able to read this thread without swiping the spoilers? :)

- Dave.

I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! I like pie! Quite frankly, I've no idea if anyone ever reads a thread without looking at all the spoilers, really... I can't say I remember ever not doing it. But here's a nice long peice of meaningless garble for anyone who wants spoilers! AHAHAHA! I'm dreadfull, aren't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Anyone seen this yet?
    I was supposed to go on Friday, but got a little distracted, hoping to go sometime during the week. The trailer looks pretty good - like "The Keep", except actually scary.

• Advertisement

Well, seeing as you didn't notice my thread just a few posts down from yours... For your benefit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72999

Mmmkay?

Okay, I don't know how I missed that, apologies.

But even still - first post: interesting, useful. Second post: less interesting, less useful. Third post: All "spoilers" except one non-spoiler'd comment. Fourth post: all spoiler.

Where are the insults? The flying off on a tangent? The breaking down into something completely off-topic? The ubiquitous mention of 'Ring', which seems to pop up in every thread on the films board? Call that a discussion?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Merged the threads. Obey, I would have expected more of you!

Anyway, the discussion can start once you've seen it and given your opinion on it ;)

Originally posted by Draco
    Merged the threads. Obey, I would have expected more of you!
    Yeah, I would have expected more from me, too. I really don't know how I missed this thread. Even when AngelWhore told me it was here, I had trouble seeing it. Again - apologies.
    Originally posted by Draco
    Anyway, the discussion can start once you've seen it and given your opinion on it ;)
    Aw, can't we even make a start on the insults now?

Those that have seen the film, let me know this.. is it better than The Keep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Very disappointing indeed. Was expecting much more. Dog Soldiers was about 50 times better.
    I so did not get the end. The german should have explained indeed. Wtf happened? what? what's that? confused.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Aw, can't we even make a start on the insults now?
    Your legs are stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jim_rebels

Saw it last night - all 3 of us seemed to interpret the ending in a different way. Overall I found it a little drawn out, the music added an air of horror to it but the plot whilst a good idea was a little weak in the delivery.

Anyone else see it? What did ya think?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Merged. In future please look for threads on current releases - there is usually a thread with in a day or so of the release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Oh my god what an absolute pile of complete crap - no originality massive holes in the plot no storyline seemingly and after being so promising from the beginning i really hate when i waste money on a film like this

Advertisement