Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Protection error after clean install

• 08-12-2002 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I got a PII 333mhz system, 64mb ram, Intel MU440EX Motherboard with onboard video and sound. The only other hardware is a dvd rom, floppy and hard drive. The was running win98se perfectly. I'm giving it to someone else so I formatted it and installed win98se from scratch, however when it finishes and goes to boot up windows for the first time it says "Windows Protection Error. You must restart your computer".
    I've search the web and found lots of results on this protection error but no solutions.
    Has anyone got any idea what's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Will the pc start in safe mode? if so see if theres any devices conflicting in System Properties. If not then press F8 at bootup and select Step by Step confirmation at bootup, then u can try selecting which things to loads and not to load, like an elmination process :)
    also u can check this link and see if its any use, if u just type "Windows Protection Error" in google u'll find lots :) seems to be a lot of anti-virus problems causing it, anyway hope it works out :)

Ruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Try running memtest86. You will probably have to make a bootable floppy/cd on another machine.

Zab.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Thanks for your replys gives. I happened to come across that link u mentioned Ruu, thanks anyway.
    I decided out of the blue to do a BIOS reset to default and it worked.

Thanks again for the suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

glad u got it sorted patrick, had many a windows error in my time :D

Advertisement