Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thumb to wrap or not to wrap?

• 08-12-2002 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many of you guitarists wrap your thumb(palm) around the fret board so you can actually play E with your thumb like hendrix, resulting in you constantly having to change the position of your thumb for nearly every chord, say for example going from c maj to bm(whereas you dont the other way as your thumb remains in the same position) i reckon most people do this as it feels a lot more comfortable especially for beginners.

Or like me do you keep your thumb in the one position directly behind the B and the high e strings meaning a lot less thumb movement and easier to break into a solo from strumming some chords much more fluid, also the added ability of a wider finger span on the frets. Seldom would i see anyone play like this, even though its supposedly the proper way to play guitar.

Do you wrap your thumb around the fret board? 8 votes

Yeah i wrap, whats your point?
    0% 0 votes
    No, i keep my thumb in the one position?
    50% 4 votes
    A little bit of both
    50% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

third option should have be a little bit of both, maybe Oenus/slosh can fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Fixed. :)

I sometimes use my thumb on the E string. For example, when holding down a D chord you are sometimes asked to hold down the E string on the second fret, and the most comfortable way to do it I find is by using your thumb.

But generally, I tend to keep my thumb pressed against the centre of the back of the neck, or lower if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mine just goes everywhere, depending on what im playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As Oenus, but if needs be for a cool riff then you have to try and get your thumb in there. I am not blessed with a big thumb. (ooerr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 alfonso*

personally i keep my thumb in 1 position,95% of my songs are classical and its just way more comfortable for intensive spainishy pieces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

i never use my thumb when im playing.
    what artist require it? apart from jimi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Jimmy Page held his bar chords down with his thumb on the E string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ever see that guy on woodstock where he played a whole song with his thumb! I think it was that one that goes like "1..2..3. what are we fighting for?" Course the guitar was open tuned but it shure did look whacky pahr, hyuk hyuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I TRY to keep my thumb round the centre of the back of the neck for most things because i was told its a bad habbit if ppl can see your thumb over the neck.

But nearly ever major/famous guitarist i see you can see their thumb so now i don't know what to think, altho try playing a scale all the way down and back up again with your thumb in the two positions and see which is more comfortable
    try this using all four fingers

|
    5-6-7-8-||
    |
    5-6-7-8
    ||
    |
    5-6-7-8
    ||
    |
    5-6-7-8
    ||
    |
    5-6-7-8
    ||
    |--5-6-7-8
    ||
    1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
    There finger numbers ^

And go back down again, see if you have to move you thumb to even do it and how painful certain ones are, better make your own minds up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 alfonso*

not a move off the thumb when i did it ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement