Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL mail account not working with UTV

Options
  • 08-12-2002 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I have an iol email address but I just got connected up to UTV. I still want to use my iol mail address, I can recieve mail with it but it wont let me send mails, I'm lost! It says:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'rxxx@utvinterxxxt.ie'. Subject 'Test', Account: xxxxxx Mail', Server: 'mail.iol.ie', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying to <rxxx@utvinternet.ie> prohibited by administrator (failed to find host name from IP address)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

any help greatly appreciated!

mfield.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

get the exact same problem, only i have been on Eircom dsl and iol no-limits and cant send on both :/ , and using my iol email a/c.
    Checked about the IOL webby, but nothing there :( ,only an Error 501 help page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

If iol allow you to use smtp after pop, then check your email first. Otherwise use utv's smtp server.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Chances are it'll be easier if you just change the sntp settings.

I've had hassle with Yahoo since they required authentication for sending - any suggestions they provide don't work for Outlook 2002 (just for 2k) so I just send with IOL (dialup using IOL).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

alot of ISP's don't let you send mail using their smtp mail server if you do not have an ip from that ISP, this is to stop people from using the mail servers for spamming without the ISP being able to do anything about it, as it could lead to them being as such black listed by other mail proveiders. As stated above if you pop your mail and then try and send mail with some ISP's this will work or if you just the mail server of the ISP that you actually use to cconnect rather then the iol one this should work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

always use the nearest smtp to you, being that of the ISP you are dialled into at the time. Its the fastest and cleanest solution

mail.iol.ie
    mail2.eircom.net

are 2 examples

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

alot of ISP's don't let you send mail using their smtp mail server if you do not have an ip from that ISP, this is to stop people from using the mail servers for spamming without the ISP being able to do anything about it, as it could lead to them being as such black listed by other mail proveiders. As stated above if you pop your mail and then try and send mail with some ISP's this will work or if you just the mail server of the ISP that you actually use to cconnect rather then the iol one this should work

Spot on ......

IOL filter by IP so if your not dialed up you cant use the relay server, the only solution is to use the providers relay server

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Many thanks for all the replies lads, but I'm still confused :confused: So can I send my IOL mail when dialled up through UTV or not, if so what do I change? I was messing with the incoming and outgoing settings but nothings worked?!

Many thanks,

mfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Change your outgoing mail server to be whatever the UTV smtp server is.

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

find out from utv(or may some who knows it may post it), go to tools, accounts click on the utv account and go to properties and if you click on servers, change the smtp mail server in there and you should be able to send mail to your hearts content

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Nice one, I'll be doing that later on!
    Thanks alot for the help! :D :cool:

mfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

simply put. you cant use the iol smtp server when you are dialed up on UTV. If you edit your IOL e-mail settings and just change the smtp server to one that UTV uses you will be ok. You will be able to find the server under the help/support section on the UTV website. You still be useing your account, just sending from a different server. IE: I use a mail@esatclear.ie address at home. but I dial up with eircom. I keep my POP server (pop.esatclear.ie) and have my smtp server as mail2.eircom.net. This allows me to get my mail and send it... To anyone it looks as though I sent from my IOL mail. but really I sent from a eircom mail server. (you can see this by looking at the message header)

But all you need to know is that Yes it will work and Yes you will keep your iol mail

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I have a ***@iol.ie account which I use while dialed upto UtvIP.

My Pop mail server is: pop.iol.ie
    My Smtp mail server is: smtp.utvinternet.com

That's all you need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement