Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky digital dish size

• 09-12-2002 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I recently had a digital box and dish in dublin but have moved to limerick only with the box and left the dish since it was to high to remove from the house. I purchased a new dish and have installed this now on the wall and have connected it up to my current digital box to try and retune the signal again.

The problem is that the signal doesn't seem to lock on even by moving the dish slightly and waiting for it to pick up the signal. I noticed on the sky system test on the tv that the signal strength is up about 80% at the best position I can get but there is no signal quality reading and it remains unlocked to the signal with 0000 readings for the network id.

Should I be getting a signal quality reading as I move the dish. The only other thing I can think of is that the dish is to small. The dish size I bought is 60cm in width and about 35-40cm in height, kind of oval shaped.

Does anyone know the correct size dish that would be needed in the limerick area to pick up a signal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

Your dish size should be big enough.

Using the signal reader from a digi box is never reliable ,because it take a fraction of time for the signal to come through.

The best option is to buy a signal reader @35 EURO or ring some company and ask them to come and align it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 afterburn

Cheers seano,

I was thinking the dish size was ok as I was told I shouldn't have any problems picking up a signal with the size dish I got. From what I can tell it's pointing in the right direction but from there it's all down to moving it that fraction of an inch to get the signal.

Any idea on the time delay to wait to move the dish before the signal is decoded by the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

If you go to the "Irish terres..effect..gone"thread on page one you will see a very detailed account by Watty on how to align your dish

Just got it, definetly alot more detailed information. I'll give it a shot and see if anything there helps out.

Cheers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Signall but no lock or quality usually means WRONG Satellite :D

Try again!

Some places 3 degrees is a different satellite.

0.5degree error is a big signal loss. (One 1/4 revolution of your pole is 90 degrees. So given normal pole 1/8" inch movement around the pole is a different satellite!

You are pointing at something 22,500 miles away.. It takes some patience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Afterburn...

If you are near my bit of Limerick I might lend you my meter. If very close to Patrickswell I might even help if you really stuck.

Cool, thanks watty. I'll give it a shot again this week and keep you posted how I get on. It looks like I might have been moving the dish a bit to quick and not giving it time to pick up the signal from reading through the links sean posted above.

I'm above half way between limerick and tipperary btw, in the doon/cappamore area if the worst comes to the worst.

Do you think the dish size i'm using is ok ?

Advertisement