Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ide

• 09-12-2002 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a new ide connection on motherboards.
    I was told it was 200mhz but i'm not sure if thats true?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Yes
    the new Asus has a serial ATA port on the card
    But there is no HDD's available yet So they are suppling a converter with it so you can connect a regular ide to it

Deco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

The new format is indeed called Serial ATA, and is rated at 150MBit/s. The best thing about it is that instead of 40 (or 80) cables running between the drive and the motherboard, SATA uses four; the inside of PC is much neater as a result. Also, it's point-to-point; one device per channel, but no hard limit on two channels per controller. In other words, even easier wiring in PC (no master/slave/cable select, jumpers, ribbon cable origami and so on).

An example of the adaptor Deco described is Highpoint's RocketHead 100, that ships with their newer S-ATA RAID cards - see http://www.highpoint-tech.com/rr1520.htm for an example with pictures.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Afaik Seagate have pricing levels and specs set for their barracuda V Serial-ATA drives but I've no idea when they'll actually hit the shelves.

The Serial-ATA cables also allow a 1 metre length from Controller to Device on a much more flexible cable [approx 4mm wide]. Definitely a plus for ease of use and case air flow.

Serial ATA also has some inbuilt hot-swap functionality.

[eventually the plan is that Serial ATA should be able to reach peak transfer rates of ~600 Mb/s ... current incarnations will be 150 Mb/s]

Advertisement