Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why was it changed???

• 09-12-2002 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I know you guys don't run the site making your decisions based on the outcome of polls, etc. - but I just wonder why was the name of the "Gaeilge" board changed to "Gaeilge (Irish)" considering that the poll I held on such a name change swung overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the status quo...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'd take a wild guess on it being because every single other language-specific board uses that naming convention, so it makes a lot of sense to keep them consistent.

Besides, there are loads of UK and other non-Irish visitors to boards.ie these days, who probably wouldn't know what "Gaelige" was if it slapped them in the head. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Shinji
    I'd take a wild guess on it being because every single other language-specific board uses that naming convention, so it makes a lot of sense to keep them consistent.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that as the drop-down menu hadn't been updated. Fair enough so - consistency is a good thing.

Besides, there are loads of UK and other non-Irish visitors to boards.ie these days, who probably wouldn't know what "Gaelige" was if it slapped them in the head. :)

... which is exactly what my original point was when suggesting the name change in the poll...

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Ah, I hadn't noticed that as the drop-down menu hadn't been updated. Fair enough so - consistency is a good thing.

The drop-down menu is generated automatically - and it has been updated since 3am this morning. Try flushing your cache, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Regi
    The drop-down menu is generated automatically - and it has been updated since 3am this morning. Try flushing your cache, maybe?

Ah right... done that & it worked. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I felt that it was best to have the dual naming convention for those who didn't know what Nihongo or Deutsch (you'd be surprised) meant...

Thanks,

John.
    --

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cloud
    for those who didn't know what Nihongo or Deutsch (you'd be surprised) meant...

Anyone still in Pennsylvania speaking Pennsylvania Deutsch (bloody Americans:)) could probably testify to that.

Advertisement