Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Digibox

• 09-12-2002 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Will an NTL box from the UK work here on Go Digital and vice versa?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think the decoders are the property of NTL, and cant be bought and sold (unless another ITV Digital fiasco happens again! Bets anyone.) So if you get one, the merch will be warm, to say the least.

As for the technology itself, it is the same hardware, (as used in one area in the UK) icdg wrote a review on it on his site, some tech info is here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All NTL or Chorus installs, all the equipment is 100% belongs to the operator forever.

It's only Analog TV and Satellite that you get to own equipment.

Does anyone still rent TVs?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The short answer is "yes - probably", if it is from an ex-CableTel (or "Original NTL") area. No, if it is from an ex-Cable and Wireless area.

The hardware from ex-CableTel areas is the same as that used by NTL ROI, so it should probably work. I say probably, because there may have been some small modifications made by NTL ROI to the software or hardware which may render it incompabile.

As Watty and Damien mention, all Cable TV hardware (including STBs) is the property of your Cable Company and it is illegal to interfere with the connection or use equipment to obtain services not paid for. Yes Cablelink did make available analogue decoders to buy several years ago, but this is an exception to the general rule, and no longer applies.

what security do NTL have for their decoders anyway??
    Surely you cannot, plug in an NTL go digital box from England, into an NTL Dublin socket and it works??

Would there not have to be a switch on from NTL Dublin?
    And for that would they not need, the box serial number,and anyway would it not be fishy that it was not installed by their own installers?
    Presumably, there would have to be a godigital paying account (and card?) set up for the box to work.

Also if as is the case, that the box from England is still the property of NTL there(although they are the one company), then unless you have their permission,to have it here, it could get messy, ie no switch on,box useless.
    mm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They do have a conditional access system. You are issued with a Viewing Card just like Sky. (Although probably not as secure a system as those made by NDS). Not sure if the viewing card has to be matched to the box though. I know that for several days following my take up of NTL Digital, my viewing card was not authorised and I was left with only TV3, which for some reason is the only FTV channel on the whole of NTL Digital.

• Advertisement
Advertisement