Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The perfect wireless setup?

• 09-12-2002 10:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

This is the type of question which has probably been asked
    and answered a dozen times on this forum but seeing as we're
    going through a period of regular annoncements and new
    product launches I'm sure you won't mind me asking again -

"What is the best mobile phone, PDA or combo unit for my
    needs?"

And my needs are simple -

1) Anywhere, anytime access to email.
    2) Handsfree voice calls.
    3) Simple web-browsing (of basic html pages).

What I do NOT need is -

1) A super small package which will disappear in a pocket. I
    don't mind having to carry a mobile in a holster and I don't
    mind if I have to carry a second item (eg PDA) on my belt.

2) Games, and other applications. No need for Excel, Word,
    or Outlook support or any of that daftness. A good Email
    client with support for IMAP will suffice.

3) Full keyboard. I used to have a PalmV at work a few years
    ago and became reasonably proficient at Grafiti so I don't
    mind stylus based or predictive text input. However, having
    a bluetooth enabled 'stowaway' keyboard compatible setup
    would be nice.

What is the word on the Nokia 9200 communicator series? What
    is the next version likely to be like?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My Advice would be wait for the 64mb version of the O2 XDA.

That saves you having to have a phone and PDA, or the Sony P800 but thats been talked about for over 6 months now and still no sign of it appearing.

But don't buy the 32mb version of the XDA its not worth the asking price.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I used to use a Revo 16mb and a Siemens 35i communicating over infrared and had no probs. V. easy to use plus good keyboard. No colour though and little support.

Some git nicked my Revo though.

I'd say you're better off with an all-in-one solution that can have one of those little fold up keyboards attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by trap4

"What is the best mobile phone, PDA or combo unit for my
    needs?"

And my needs are simple -

1) Anywhere, anytime access to email.
    2) Handsfree voice calls.
    3) Simple web-browsing (of basic html pages).

A recommendation would depend on your budget and what Handsfree option you required. Also, if you were happy to deal with infrared connections or if you really needed Bluetooth.

I can do it with my Palm V and my Nokia 6310 - but it's not the greatest experience in the world - but it works and it's cheap(er) than most. The way I do it is with an iPAQ 3870 and SonyEricsson T68i - better experience - but more expensive.

I've been a happy user of an iPAQ 3870 and Bluetooth phone (Ericsson R520m then SonyEricsson T68i). The separate approach allows me to just carry the phone out socially (and I can still check my POP/IMAP email on the (Sony)Ericsson phones) The T68i is also triples as my MP3 player, FM Radio and Fun Digital - by using it's great clip-on accessories.

For Hands free both the R520m and T68i have a wired option (and the FM Radio and MP3 Player come with it included), a bluetooth headset option and the R520m has a speaker phone.

As an alternative to the Pocket PC (if you want to stick with Palm) the m515 has also served well with the Bluetooth phones (via the Bluetooth SD Card) - however I prefer the (current) power of the Pocket PC platform. The Tungsten T (m550) is more powerful and I liked the hands on I had with it - but it costs are too high compared to the new offerings of base PocketPC models from HP and Dell (although no in-built Bluetooth in those).

There are clip on thumb keyboards and full size keyboard attachments for the iPAQ and Palms. No PDA Bluetooth Keyboard options as yet - only shipping Bluetooth Keyboard is from Microsoft and that only runs on XP.

I like the separate approach as the battery management is better and i can leave the PDA behind for social i.e. pub :) / personal occasions and still get basic mail/wap functionality from the (Sony)Ericsson phones.

The (more PDA based than Phone) combo devices are still a bit to bleeding edge for me - the XDA device took a long time to launch - at that stage other Pocket PC hardware offerings had progressed on - and even the new version didn't have as significant an upgrade as people had hoped (SD Input/Output and Better Screen)

I do like the (more Phone based than PDA) combo idea but only in the right form factor, with extensibility and decent power. The Nokia 7650 is getting there but I find the power drain an issue and it has no memory expansion option. The SonyEricsson P800 looks like the first to deliver a true smart phone approach with extensibility and performance, now due in Jan/Feb . I'd actually give a lot of credit to SonyEricsson for keeping their nerve and holding out the launch of the device until it is ready - too many other manufacturers will just get it out there (staring at my 7650 as it decided to reboot twice all on it's own this morning while receiving email).

I'm still in the separate PDA / Phone camp - but the P800 looks like swaying me into my first true combo device.

HTH,
    Brian G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Is the P800 based on a 'standard' OS platform like PalmOS/Symbian/PocketPC? Will it support J2ME?

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    Is the P800 based on a 'standard' OS platform like PalmOS/Symbian/PocketPC? Will it support J2ME?

Teeth.

hi teeth :D

the P800 is based on the Symbian OS (Version 7), and it supports J2ME

a good intro to the device is here:
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/devices/p800/index.php

or SonyEricsson's own presentaiton site:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/P800/

two posters on here are using one at the moment - i had a quick hands on last month of the final hardware and it was a joy to use

HTH,
    Brian G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

What will the P800 cost and what sort of monthly bills would you reckon they would run to.

Me likey a loty and thinky me will buy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

has any one got the p800 to install midlets yet?

they download but won't install :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I am moblogging with the Nokia 9210i and it is now part of my kitbag.

I like these things about it:
    1. superb colour screen plus it plays sound, handles digital still pictures over IrTranP, runs Flash movies and records concerts.
    2. hands-free operation that sits comfortably on a conference table (or on the seat of a car) with a volume level loud enough to be heard on another speaker phone.
    3. Call logging system which is great for expense accounts.
    4. Opera browser that is just as fast as GPRS but one-third the price.
    5. Filtered or full e-mail system robust enough to handle multiple POPs.
    6. Add-on text-to-speech that reads my email or text messages.
    7. IR that works 90 degrees from the red window for an easy connection to my IBM TransNote across my desk. Or for beaming large files (images of revealing poses or bulging spreadsheets or bloated Word docs) across a crowded pub.

Advertisement