Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd genie?

• 09-12-2002 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

hi
    I was wondering if u guys could help out with a problem im having with dvd genie. It dosent seem to be changing the region of dvd discs for me properly as when I launch power dvd with a region 1 disc it pops up a msg sayin I need to change the region to region 1 . I had it installed & workin a while back so I know its compatible with my drive etc. do u actually select a region in dvd genie or just set it to auto select & launch your dvd player?

any ideas/alternate programs would be apreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

It may be that you dvd drive is firmware locked.

you can get a tool called driveinfo to check if it is region locked. If it is you will have to change the firmware on the dvd to a region friendly version

you could also try region killer a simpler app. imo

also have a look at this threadhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61206&highlight=region+firmware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

thanx lads ill give that a go & let u no how i get on:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Or if your really up to it. you can upgrade the firmware on your drive. firmware have a ok listing of drives and software to tell you about your drive. From what I remember about DVD Genie when you go to the power DVD tab. there are regin settings there. But it sounds more like your drive is locked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

search google for "firmware page"

has firmware for every drive ever i think.

also instructions.

dont know if i can post direct link ,mods is it taboo???

kdjac

• Advertisement

ok I wasnt sure exactly what make/model of dvd drive I had so I whipped it outta the case earlier & theres absolutely nothing which identifies it. no make model or number r anything. ive dwonloaded a few of the drive info programs u guys suggested but they dont really tell me much either exept that the drive is actually region locked.
    Heres what the drive info thingys say:

what information does the device manager give?

it usually gives more detailed info

sorry, heres the driveinfo thing

heres another 1

all device mgr sez is that ive got an ide dvd rom 16x drive installed with standard drivers so no clues there either

• Advertisement

well after a full nights google-ing last nite I found a very useful little program which aparently does away with the need for a firmware flash. Its working fine on my drive & ive checked & it hasnt changed the region or monkeyed with it in any way. it seems to circumvent the hardware region lock by decoding on the fly or somethin like that.

the official site ishere

the prog is called dvd region-free

and after yet more google-ing I came across this even better <cough>cracked </cough> version ....hope it mite be of help to some of yis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

On the asus 16x I have here you just press and hold the 2 buttons on the front panel as your booting up if you need to reset the counter to 5. Handier I think.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why both my lg 48/16/48 and asus dvd 16x drives give poor performance whilst reading from them? They share the same ide so the HD isn't interfearing with their speed and I've tried with and without DMA. They're both supposed to have a read speed of 48x but cdspeed99 shows them to level off at around 20. I could tell they were slow thats why I ran the test. Even ripping from a DVD was only reaching 4x speed when it's supposed to be upto 16x. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS that seemed relevant?

Setup:
    Abit bh6 board
    celery 566 clocked to 850

If it's my old system that can't handle it then I don't mind cause I'll be getting a new one soon anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    sorry, heres the driveinfo thing

Is this a medion PC, by any chance?

Yes, yes it is.

Is this a medion PC, by any chance?

would u be able to expand on that mate as it sounded like u were about to tell me the solution?

would u be able to expand on that mate as it sounded like u were about to tell me the solution?

Sorry - been away from my net connection for a few days.

If it is a medion PC, there is a very good chance that it is an Artec/Ultima Drive. I've got one, but it has firmware v. 3.1 which is upgradeable. If you search the firmware page for "Artec" (http://www.firmware-flash.com) you'll see lots of posts about these drives. Firmware version 1 has a patch, firmware version 3 Has a patch - but no luck for version 2 (yet)

Sorry to keep you waiting on bad news, but hope that region free works for you.

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Sorry - been away from my net connection for a few days.

If it is a medion PC, there is a very good chance that it is an Artec/Ultima Drive. I've got one, but it has firmware v. 3.1 which is upgradeable. If you search the firmware page for "Artec" (http://www.firmware-flash.com) you'll see lots of posts about these drives. Firmware version 1 has a patch, firmware version 3 Has a patch - but no luck for version 2 (yet)

Sorry to keep you waiting on bad news, but hope that region free works for you.

thanks man but how do i find out what version firmware my drive has? does this correspond to the dvd region or sumthin?

thanks man but how do i find out what version firmware my drive has? does this correspond to the dvd region or sumthin?

If you look in CDVD it says "Firmware Revision: 2.0" (going by the screenshot you provided).

If this is an Artec/Ultima drive (which I suspect it is) then you're out of luck as far as getting a firmware patch is concerned. Keep an eye on the firmware page though, because I only just got the patched 3.1 firmware 2 weeks ago, last time I checked was a couple of months ago, and it wasn't available then.

i c it now man. thanks very much for ur help

No problem at all - let me know if DVD Region-Free does what it says on the tin, ok? :D

• Advertisement

well so far so good mate. i mean ive tried & played 2 differant region 1 discs so far, both on 2 differant region protected dvd drives withou any hassles. im ordering a 3rd so ill give that a try aswell.havent got access to any other region discs so i cant test region 4 etc but give it a go. its a viable option before u go flashin ur firmware.

anyone who trys it & gets it workin on their dvd post it up

Advertisement