Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrdaing from NT to XP

Options
  • 10-12-2002 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Story is, I have to upgrade a machine at work from NT to XP
    Xp won't upgrade from NT
    Does anyone know if I upgrade from NT to 2000 then upgrade to XP will it work.
    I know this is sloppy but I just need to get the machine up to XP with all the applicatons still running ( otherwise its about 2 days to rebuild completely)
    Also don't want to spend 1/2 day upgrading to find myself looking at a pile of Shat and having to start from scratch

Deco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by deckie27
    Does anyone know if I upgrade from NT to 2000 then upgrade to XP will it work.

Yes.

Obviously not ideal but you know that anyway.

I'd have thought (never tried it) that you could do a full install (as opposed to using an upgrade disc) of XP over NT but perhaps not.

Warning though: AFAIK XP Home Edition won't upgrade from win2000 at all, just from 9x/ME. Better be XP Pro you're upgrading to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

go with 2000 pro
    all u will ever need man

xp full of bulk ,if thats what u want..
    ok if u got the hardware for it

like there both the same architecture..
    driver model varies slightly etc..

but win2k is definitely the best os msft have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Ok Lads the reason for this upgrade is to run viavoice 10 with all the bells and whistles

2000 will run it but in a limited capacity

sceptre. It is XP Pro and its a select copy the only version ot MS software to deal with.

GUI I agree ~I have 3 machines two win 2k the other has XP for trial purposes
    By the way MS is pulling the plug on 2k at the end of next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by GUI_XP

but win2k is definitely the best os msft have

Windows 2000 WAS the best O/S Microsoft had until they upgraded it, bolted extra features onto it, made it look prettier, made the visual style customisable, improved the multimedia features, integrated .NET functionality and called the result Windows XP Professional SP1. :)

Windows 2000 WAS the best O/S Microsoft had until they upgraded it, bolted extra features onto it, made it look prettier, made the visual style customisable, improved the multimedia features, integrated .NET functionality and called the result Windows XP Professional SP1

Extra Features?
    Device Driver Rollback
    Side By Side Dll Support
    System Restore

There failsafes not features

made it look prettier?
    sure not bad considering they bought the dominant share in stardock technologies who invented window blinds..
    but they messed it completely as you need a 500 -600mhz processor to rendor anything in real time

Made the visual style customisable?
    sorry that came with the original window blinds technology too.

integrated .Net functionality?
    nope wrong there too
    its an addon library thats available for all versions of
    Windows from 95- to ce
    And its a 20 meg seperate download

there both the same architecture, dont get me wrong there..
    its the core modules , win2k starts with standards 16 services, xp 35,
    modules that arent required
    that add to the XP bulk onto of wizards etcc

• Advertisement

deckie
    By the way MS is pulling the plug on 2k at the end of next year

your wrong mate
    microsoft initially said march 2003
    that is true
    but

microsoft have renewed support for Windows 2000
    until 2006

cause of massive deployment
    first 6 months since release of 2k in 2000,was slow uptake
    since then,its been flying

Q. Why is Microsoft changing the Windows Desktop Product Life-Cycle Guidelines published in February 2001?

Microsoft periodically reviews the Windows Desktop Product Life-Cycle Guidelines and will make policy adjustments where appropriate. Feedback from Microsoft's customers indicated there was a need to extend the availability and support guidelines for Microsoft's latest generation of operating systems (Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/desktop/consumer/faq.mspx

New software lifecycle plan
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/desktop/consumer/components.mspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Fair enough GUI

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

I still have win2k professional at home and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. Win2k is just to reliable and easy to work with :)

I tried xp, but I wasn't particularly inspired by it

• Advertisement
Advertisement