Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foggy Notions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

Look here now...
    The only thing I can add to this discussion goes thus :
    If you take the time to examine things a little closer, you'll discover there's no such thing as a 'thumped' clique, or a 'thingsym' clique. They just happen to be people with similar interests who met up, became friends and playing / promoting / whatever together.
    My advice : go along to a thingsyou'remissing meeting. Don't be afraid - they're nice peope!. Ask them what it's all about. If you like what they're doing, help out / get involved. If you don't, what do you lose?

Also, if you find thumped's forum a little too hot to handle, it's probably because you're babysat on these boards. You'd wanna be careful - your young, impressionable mind could be corrupted by all the swear words they use over there. Best to stay here where you're nice and safe from that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

whens that next meeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

..by the way, do agree with his view?

Well a lot of musos do have a "holier than thou" attitude. It's something they/ we have to be careful of. In that forementioned thread both parties are as guilty as the other.

It's evident in here as well... look at mupet's last post.

That has a touch of exclusion and is patronising. Maybe it's meant to be like that. I don't really relate more to one side or the other but I think that things should be a bit more inclusive. Don't be so defensive.

All this witty, wordy and intellectual type piss taking is really only self gratifying. It actually takes more of an effort to see someone else's point of view... and I feel it is therefore the "easy way out" to start throwing in stuff like:

if you find thumped's forum a little too hot to handle, it's probably because you're babysat on these boards

There's a few belters from the other thread that could be quoted here but... I'm too lazy. I couldn't care less.

let the petty bickering continue.

Keith

Next meeting is on Monday. There's a things forum at thumped.com. ask there!

• Advertisement

The lord edward right?

sorry what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Jayses. There's been loads here.

First of all, Leagues doesn't post on Thumped and isn't a fan of the forums either. Rightly or wrongly. He'll have stuff in if he likes it or it's well written. If you approach him, I think you'll find he has no set agenda and is a genuinely nice bloke.

I'm involved with Thingsyouremissing on and off. I know that I and a few others were horrified by Treelo's post. She's very nice in person but nobody speaks for the group. Come along to the meeting. It can't do any harm. Really. Not everyone likes each other's music. The point isn't to backslap, it's to help out.

The problem with Thumped, as with a lot of forums where the moderator doesn't like to meddle, is that people sometimes come in under a pseudonym and are really rude for a week or two, then they go away when they get bored of this tactic. It's annoying, but Pete's policy has built a genuinely vibrant place. That Syb person struck me as a particularly bad example of that, incidentally. She came across as being just awful.

Last comment about this 'holier than thou' thing. All I can comment on are the bands I'm in. And we aren't represented by a load of people who like to bicker on a bulletin board!

The Corpo do get a lot of press, but a journalist loves to have things to write about and we tend to keep ourselves busy. This year we've had an LP out in the US, done a self financed tour of there and Iceland, been on a ton of comps, played a load of gigs around the country and in the UK. Eamon Sweeney is always crying out for things for the Scene And Heard thing in Hot Press.
    Again, he's an approachable fellow and will print most things.

I spose you learn a few thing from having been in bands for donkey's years too.

treelo's comment was funny.

i did'nt think it was serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by joss
    Jayses. There's been loads here.

First of all, Leagues doesn't post on Thumped and isn't a fan of the forums either.

Yeah?

Tell him I hate his TV show then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

"Maybe they won't like your cd, but you shouldn't whinge, just keep handing it around. Or else put on gigs and invite bands you like to play with you. "

do ya think i'm whinging???
    i presume that was directed at me...
    for the record, we're doing ok at the moment, look at any of my posts on here and you'll see i'm carrying out your advice already... but personally i think ur being a bit patronising there, seems as if you think i dont know my arse from my elbow to be honest

"And polarbelly - you mentioned that gig announcements can get a slating on thumped - you gotta remember that not everyone is interested in your gig announcements - I'm not saying don't post them - I know I do - but to people who aren't interested they have the same status as junkmail. So don't worry too much if you get a negative response - it's the price you pay for your advertising space."

i've never posted a gig advert on thumped

i read the thumped forums, and see what goes on, thats it

"treelo's comment was funny."

she was saying it to a guy who was trying to help and it wasn't funny it completely portrayed this "holier than thou " buzz

as regards to i believe what ron said?

i'll read it later and post again

mick

• Advertisement

Let's try this again.

Treelo's comment = JOKE

grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

Fair enough Knobbles, what i was trying to point out though was the LACK of coverage in hotpress. 66e were in there, fair play they're a great band and deserve it, but out of the other 462 i can only see the same names over and over. Otranome were reviewed in Hotpress as part of the sept 11th gig, we got about 10 words, as did Polar and I dont recall seeing them in any other editions of hotpress. both bands work extremely hard, and in my view are very talented. anyways, im goin on like im whinging. As said above, would it really hurt to give a little bit extra coverage to other unsigned irish artists?? after all, Hotpress are an Irish music magazine and these bands are the future of Irish music.
    I know the magazine isnt exactly gonna come to me and ask me if we want to be in it, but i've emailed them countless times asking if they would like to come to a gig and never even get a reply, maybe they think Otranome are **** and thats why they dont have an interest in including them, but im sure there are loads of hardworking and very talented bands out there who deserve a chance to get some sort of coverage but will never get a look in. With a bit of luck this new magazine could be a regular publication, and hopefully they will bring with that the opportunity for more unsigned artists to get a bit more exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

My brother Patrick is 10 years old and he plays bass in a band he formed called 'Fourth Fret' with 3 other ten year olds. They have one song and its called 'I can't wait to go home'.

I said to him one day that my band should support his band and wouldn't he like that?

He said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

tell him i said he was being selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

..by the way, the next thingsyouremissing meeting is monday - upstairs at the Lord Edward pub in Christchurch at 7:30. As ever, all are welcome.

If you can't make this one but would like to come at some stage, they're held fortnightly and details are posted on the thingsyouremissing.com message board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

foggy notions indeed.
    i didn't really like homage... and i don't like hotpress and i didn't really like d'side and i don't put much pass on the slate so i'll give it a chance.

anyway best mag in ireland is the RTE Guide. no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

is it on the streets yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

I'm quite fond of Top of the Pops magazine actually. This week you get a double sided Will Young and Gareth Gates poster.

Swoon...

First Foggy Notion appears on January 15th apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Since I'm doing apologies, and since Foggy Notions is out soon, I'll apologise to Ed for when he was under attack and no one helped him out or backed him up. This thread was actually quite funny!

It kind of went like this:

"Thumped bands are cliqueish!"

"The phantom type bands are boring! What about The Frames et al. and their clique?"

"Em, well, eh, emmmmm ...........There's a holier than thou thing going on"

And so on, I noticed how no one argued against bands being boring, I'm actually reading a book on sub cultures and rock and roll at the moment, with input from various professors of sociology, and one passage talking about rock and roll said how the worst thing you can say about a band and their music is that it's boring. I'll find the exact passage, and quote at a later date.

As for the holier than thou thing or whatever, I've actually had the pleasure of going to a Things You're Missing meeting, and they are really nice people.

But again there's no point arguing for phantom to play more of these thumped bands, I've seen posts a year old saying the same thing. Also since Phantom is changing it's musical direction, I don't think this is worth arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

You seem a little mixed up there Shorty - or maybe I'm just not getting you... can you clear up a couple of things...

First off - you mention 'The phantom type bands' - who exactly are you referring to here?

One of the songs I hear most on Phantom is 'Acunamanacana' but I don't think you mean Stoat. Babelfish are also played a lot but I certainly don't think that they're at the centre of any 'phantom-band' clique. Maybe I'm missing some obvious bands... the Frames and BellX1 get played quite a lot but I don't think you mean them either...

So if you could clear up exactly who you're talking about that'd help for a start.

As for the phantom playing more thumped bands well just yesterday I read a post from Pete Reed on the Thumped board inviting bands to send music in to Phantom! And as I said Stoat are currently high in the Irish top 10 and the general Phantom top 10. Not too shabby really.

As for your boring comments... well I think you're being a little harsh - a summary of what you're saying is that phantom-type bands practically admit to being boring which is the worst thing that a band can be.

I don't mean to rant, I just think that you were a little vague in your apologetic attack!

It was merely my summary of how I saw this thread, the 'phantom clique' was a term used during it. It wasn't an attack.

(Turn, Frames, Blotooth, Melaton) were the bands soma mentioned and the ones used, for the sake of the discussion/referred to in the discussion. I think Ed defended himself quite well during the thread, even though for a while he had no one to back him up.

Pete Reed posted letting people know how to advertise their gigs with phantom. Not looking for music. As I said I don't think there's any point in arguing this about bands being played on phantom.

I just felt sorry for not defending Ed, and I summarised the thread as I saw it. Also since Foggy Notions is due out soon, I thought I'd bump it back to the top.

I never accused any band of being boring, I simply pointed out noone defended or attacked those accusations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Thanks Shorty, that answers all my questions quite nicely I think

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Shorty,

Just a clarification. Myself, and others from Phantom have posted on Thumped in the past looking for bands to send in music. Personally my most recent post was inviting listings submissions, that being the topic that was being discussed. And, now that you mention it, I will go an do it again, right now!

I dont think theres a Phantom clique of bands at all incidentally. Ive been looking through a lot of our play logs recently and it just doesnt seem to back that up. Yes, there are bands that get played a lot on Phantom but there is definitely no alegience (excuse my spelling!) between them all, and there are very few bands mentioned either here or on Thumped that dont get played at all.

The nature of what Phantom is, and what with it would be with a licence means that certain styles of music get played more and that is only natural. That is not to say though that there is any sense or notion of prejudice against other musical styles (within the "rock" family).

Every band/musician is invited to submit material to Phantom, and are encouraged to do so. Contact details for everyone in the station are listed in the sticky at the top of the page.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

Originally posted by Pete Reed
    Shorty,

Just a clarification. Myself, and others from Phantom have posted on Thumped in the past looking for bands to send in music. Personally my most recent post was inviting listings submissions, that being the topic that was being discussed. And, now that you mention it, I will go an do it again, right now!

I have absolutely no problem with this.

Originally posted by Pete Reed

The nature of what Phantom is, and what with it would be with a licence means that certain styles of music get played more and that is only natural. That is not to say though that there is any sense or notion of prejudice against other musical styles (within the "rock" family).

I have to admit that that I don't actually listen to a lot of Indie ( as in the genre/ sound of music) but I do listen to Independent music. And I realise you're trying to get a licence so you have to change what your playing slightly. But mister can I still use your message board!? :(;):D:p :cool: :)

A none confrontational, apologetic, mellow...

Shorty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Shorty,

Oh alright then, you can continue to use the message board, but wipe your feet on the way in, we do have some standards ;)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

Juss a note to say the first Foggy Notions should now be out Jan 17th.
    Do support, if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

any info on the contents of the 1st issue?

Advertisement