Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did you delete that thread?

Options
  • 10-12-2002 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Please explain. 'Cause I don't understand. Look, I'm so upset I started my sentence with because. And i used a contraction. Lord help us all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello there,

Muppet Monarchy perhaps you could be a little less specific as to what thread you meant? ;)

If it was the "Another Query" thread, I said in a post on Sunday that I would delete it and then in a post last night said that I was deleting it, but if anyone wanted to start the thread fractions again as seperate threads then go for it. Fractions being me being a git of a censor, a totally different but interesting debate about music, and a debate on the United States of anywhere!

Focus and be careful with those contractions. You could do yourself a mischief!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Was it the post on why you delated an other post?

Jaysus Tony you might be right. Which would make this a post about why I deleted a post about why I deleted a post. Whats going to happen when I delete this one? I predict catastrophe on a grand scale. Will leave it until after Thursday night so ;)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

So. Here we are. Again.

The 'another query' thread ; would have dropped off the page and been forgotten about soon enough. Why bother to delete it? You never answered my question, so the discussion was far from over.

Why the hack-and-burn moderating? What does it achieve? I think you've stated before that you don't want discussion wandering off-topic too much. Why? It's a discussion forum - let people have discourse. Perhaps somebody would've read that thread today, and contributed something really interesting. It's unlikely, but you never know.

My point is, why don't you go easy on the moderation. Here's a little experimnet we could try - promise not to delete any non-duplicated, non-libellous threads for 30 days. Remove that infantile anti-swear-word nonsense for 30 days. If the world ends, I was wrong. If the board becomes even a little livelier, more entertaining or whatever, maybe I have a case.
    Let's work together, hmmm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Think of the board as a Bonsai Tree.

It needs regular pruning to keep it healthy and nice.

If you don't prune the tree it will die. Die! So while the tree probably doesn't like having some of its bits chopped off, it knows that it's for the best and so IT DOESN'T GIVE ANY LIP. It knows that its owner knows what its doing. I like Bonsai Trees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

Well put Roxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

censorship curbs creativity.

What will happen is that when people want to freely express themselves they'll stray away from the phantom board and take their ideas elsewhere.

Whereas those loya citizens who cause little or no bother will stay and post the same old boring waffle.

I wonder how long before the league of gentlemen thread is deleted.

Yeah whats with the cursing cut out?
    i mean its kinda funny... cause people make such an effort to go around it why not just let it be?

are those boards.ie guys doing it to ya? cause their after hours board is profanity central.

Anywa i'm off to go find out about this cartoon called the visionaries......

oh and does anyone else have that new CNX channel its really good..... ever since MTV2 started playing "the music, sum41, the strokes," 24/7 i've been going mad.

Seinfeld at 8pm on paramount though.
    seeya

Delete the chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

If you don't like the rules or the way the board is run, no one is forcing you to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Raggamuffin, wake up and smell the coffee ... I've never read so much rubbish in my life - censorship curbs creativity is a tad over the top. Move on!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BrianD
    Raggamuffin, wake up and smell the coffee ... I've never read so much rubbish in my life - censorship curbs creativity is a tad over the top. Move on!

Whoa, and that wasn't over the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

sometimes i get angry

Some times people drink my miwadi..............that makes me angry............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Graemo

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    censorship curbs creativity.

What will happen is that when people want to freely express themselves they'll stray away from the phantom board and take their ideas elsewhere.

Nonsence.

It has been proved time and time again that when you put restrictions on a person for any reason that person is forced to use thier creativity (if any) to an even greater degree to be able to get around the censorship laws.

Truly competitive people the world over welcome adversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

Pete, I'm not trying to bust yo balls here, but I know you've read my post, since you pasted it over here into this thread.
    Have you any response?

BrianD - Are you trying to say that it's not censorship? What are you trying to say?

Originally posted by Graemo
    It has been proved time and time again that when you put restrictions on a person for any reason that person is forced to use thier creativity (if any) to an even greater degree to be able to get around the censorship laws.

Truly competitive people the world over welcome adversity. [/B]

when has this been proven?
    is that why joyce left ireland cause he welcomed the censorship laws?

Your just trying to find ways of disagreeing with me.

YOu argument is just stupid. Censorship existing so people can overcome it and find ways around it?

OK so basically we should set up a nazi state just so people can find ways around it.

yeah.......... good one

creative people are'nt competetive either.....and if they are it's usually a flaw rather than a a positive aspect of their character.

however if your running a business thats a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

just to say, I think the moderatorship on here is fair and fine .. imagine a lot of people agree.

is that why joyce left ireland cause he welcomed the censorship laws?

YOu argument is just stupid. Censorship existing so people can overcome it and find ways around it?

OK so basically we should set up a nazi state just so people can find ways around it.

yeah.......... good one

creative people are'nt competetive either.....and if they are it's usually a flaw rather than a a positive aspect of their character.

i betcha you love/loved religion class in school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

Originally posted by polarbelly
    i betcha you love/loved religion class in school

Betcha you wish those guitar lessons would finally start paying off!!!

i play drums

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

"Betcha you wish those guitar lessons would finally start paying off!!!"

i think its posts such as these that pete is complaining about when he says people are going off topic into a mere slagging match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

HaHa! OMG I can't believe people are actually defending censorship! :rolleyes:

I honestly can't be bothered arguing for free speech and against censorship, it should be so blatantly obvious, thumped.com is a moderated board, so to speak, but it is so much more liberal.

I could throw in a load of quotes on freedom and how high it's importance is, but again this is so obvious that this thread seems beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

blah blah blahblahblah blah blah?

YOu argument is just stupid. blah blah blahblahblah blah blahblah blah blahblahblah blah blahblah blah blahblahblah blah blah!!

OK so basically we should set up a nazi state just so people can find ways around it. blah blah blahblahblah blah blah I'm an idiot blah

yeah.......... blah blah blah

creative people are'nt competetive either.....and if they are it's usually blah blah blahblahblah blah blah

Go search for "Censorship" on the Admin board, this has been argued to death.

Wheres that 'Set My People Free' card when you need it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Okay, I know the deal with censorship on boards.ie , but this seems to be people saying that in general, censorship is okay.

LOL!!! In an ironic wtf is going on sorta way.

set my people free
    hehehehe

kinda funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

Or in your case Raggamuffin your little man...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well actually its...

never mind....

Hello all,

Right, brief reply.

Muppet Monarchy: Apart from the deletions on offence basis and all that stuff, theres also pruning purely from a volume point of view. So, if a topic loses focus then I usually put up a posting saying it will be removed, but asking people if they want to start a thread about that topic. Then theres multiple posters, who plug their gig or venue five or six times in a week, or even in a day. Then theres commercial posters from big organisations clogging up the board too. You get the buzz Im on?

You also say "we're all adults". How do you know this? In fact, quite a few posters aren't.

On you overall point though, I am willing to try for a few days at least to see what effect a lighter touch may have. Given some of the ****e Ive had to clear from the board today I doubt it will last a few days, but yep, lets give it a shot. Now, in return you can promise to maybe not just lazily knock Phantoms efforts (particularly in relation to our charity gig on Thursday night) and lets see how we get on ;)

And Ragamuffin, Joyce left Ireland so he could find someone who could understand what the feck Ulysses was about. Wrecks my head that book.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

wrecks your head?
    jesus the latin on the first pages while hes shaving or sumthing had me baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Lies make baby Jesus cry......

Advertisement