Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Landlord

Options
  • 10-12-2002 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I'm living in an apartment block with 4 apartments. We all share a washing machine and dryer which are coin operated.

The problem is, that the coin machine was damaged by one of the other tenants. This is the second time this has happened. Last time it was fixed, but this time the landlord has said that he won't fix it. Also the dryer has been broke for the past week, so I have a load of washing to be done, and now I’ve no where to do it.
    Does the landlord have a right to do this? It’s not my fault that another tenant broke it, and I'm being punished.

The rent is due tomorrow; do I have a right not to pay it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I don't think you have right not to pay rent simply cause the appliances aren't workin!! However you could us it as a threat!
    ie. "If you don't fix the appliances then i am not paying the rent this week!"
    As for clean cloths..........is there no Laudramatte (I know i can't spell!) near you??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It should say in your contract whether or not the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of communal areas/appliances. If it does so, he is in breach of contract and you should point this out to him before witholding/cutting rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Tazz T
    It should say in your contract whether or not the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of communal areas/appliances. If it does so, he is in breach of contract and you should point this out to him before witholding/cutting rent.
    Were the appliances there when you moved in? And / or are they in your lease / contract? If so, the landlord has to keep them in order.

If it gets to the point of you withholding rent, withhold an amount equal to the cost of going to the launderette (100%), including the cost of your time (say 60%) and travel (100%) and put it in a separate bank account marked "rent" if possible. This is the cost to you of him not maintaining the appliances and is a legitimate deduction for a withdrawal of service and convenience by the landlord.

Be aware that this may not make your landlord happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭coco

ive never seen my landlord ive to put money in a account to pay them there rent in the house of hell that im livin in

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The landlord does not have to fix the dryer as it is a "luxary item".

Put your clothes on the rads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Elmo
    The landlord does not have to fix the dryer as it is a "luxary item".
    And what is your basis for saying this? As I look out at the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I finally got in contact with him last night, told him that it was unacceptable, and he is going to fix it today.

He is going to remove the coin meter and just add an agreed amount on to the rent, which will be about 20 euro a month, we spent atleast that in the meter anyways, so i'm happy with that.

Thanks for all your replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Its a luxdary item as it is not really need, As for the rain its too cold to put items of clothing out at this time of year anyway.
    And it wastes so much elec.
    You save energy and money using the rads.

The person who broke the meter won't be too happy with the €20 extra on the rent but then its a good deal for you.

Advertisement