Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg blocks Eircom from launching fixed-line SMS

Options
  • 10-12-2002 3:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

This one nearly slipped by me. What about all the people who bought Eircom's widely advertised DETC phones? Are Eircom going to compensate people for the false advertising?

adam

ENN
    According to the Irish Times, ComReg (the Commission for Communications Regulation) has prevented Eircom from launching its fixed-line SMS product. The telecoms company had heavily advertised its planned text messaging service for its new digital phones. A spokeswoman for ComReg confirmed that the service was blocked because Eircom did not supply other operators with a wholesale product.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

A spokeswoman for ComReg confirmed that the service was blocked because Eircom did not supply other operators with a wholesale product.

beautiful, absolutely f1ucking beautiful ...

I feel a change in the earth, in the wind, in the tides ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

means that they must provide a wholesale offering of the eircom voicemail system......intruiging.

think of all the Pat Shortt Ads we've seen for this product, and all for nothing.

then there's the refunds on all those fones

OY get into your Eircom Centre to get your money back before they are all closed down, as planned very shortly.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

yeah i seem to remember posting the following quote

"powers under the Interconnect directive (97/33/EC) do not change.
    Comreg may only intervene on a refusal of a reasonable request from an
    OLO to eircom, or if eircom introduce a retail product without a
    wholesale equivalent."

So whatever eircom want to do they must provide the wholesale equivalent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nice to see the ComReg doing something against Eircom, but I don't see how this is related to the DSL issue as they have a wholesale DSL offer. Even if its digustingly expensive, the ComReg can't do much can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I have recieved text messages from an Eircom fixed line number last month, so it was in operation over a month ago.

I wonder will a wholesale product be rolled out in record time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by meglome
    I have recieved text messages from an Eircom fixed line number last month, so it was in operation over a month ago.

It looks like maybe an OLO asked for a wholesale product and eircom typically stalled, and Comreg were called in. Which would be very ODTR.

If ComReg acted of their own initiative and stepped in, then it does bode well for our new regulator.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by seamus
    It looks like maybe an OLO asked for a wholesale product and eircom typically stalled, and Comreg were called in. Which would be very ODTR.

If ComReg acted of their own initiative and stepped in, then it does bode well for our new regulator.........

Things seem to be looking up... Which is a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I think meglome's in the right of it :)

I bet they don't take many years of testing to roll out the wholesale product they need to continue offering fixed line sms :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was flipping around on the telly earlier on and came across that ad with D'Unbelievables. And there it was at the end: Text Messaging. You'd better take 'em down fairly sharpish, Eircom, or we'll be adding to your already saucy track record in the ASAI...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i have one of those phones.

and i umm bought it for the SMS.
    Where do i stand now ,they did say quite clearly it could and would send sms.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

and you can buy the same model cheaper next year when Eircom have sorted out their regulatory problems.

The Eircom stores are closing soon so make sure you get in there fast and shout loudly if they are less than forthcoming with the spondulicks.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Muck
    and you can buy the same model cheaper next year when Eircom have sorted out their regulatory problems.

The Eircom stores are closing soon so make sure you get in there fast and shout loudly if they are less than forthcoming with the spondulicks.

M

Why are their stores closing, may I ask?

Or, is this a somewhat pointless question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Looks like Esat BT have made a complaint about the fact the phone is still being advertised w/ SMS:

Esat BT lodges complaint about Eircom ads
    http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=8844696

Looks like Esat BT have made a complaint about the fact the phone is still being advertised w/ SMS:

How very IOFFL of them :D

Eircom are takin a real hammering lately....almost makes you feel sorry for them.....

(not)

According to ComReg, this direction was made in August. If this is in fact the case, Eircom has been marketing this product fraudulently for four to five months, and removal of the ads simply isn't enough, they should be fined heavily. Your mission today, if you choose to accept it, is to figure out how a company like oooh, say Esat BT would go about that.

By the way, it's still on the Eircom webstore, with the following starred-disclaimer: "Caller display and text messaging may not be available to some customers. The eircom text messaging network will be fully operational in the coming months." We can't complain to the ASAI about that one, but we could complain to trading standards. Or how about the Gardaí for fraud? :)

Anyone wanna call 1901 and ask about these phones, see if it's propogated through the company yet?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

This really does seem to suggest Eircom have a policy of operating with no regard for regulation whatsoever, until they are forced to do something.

I imagine the idea is to get some sort of a lead on the competitors by establishing the product/brand as an Eircom-only thing, leaving the competitors with an uphill battle by the time they actually get to join in.

They did it with 1891 Internet access, they did it with ADSL, and now this.

Fair point Fergus, I hadn't extended it that far. Their behaviour could certainly be regarded as anti-competitive and an abuse of SMP.

I wonder was it advertised in the bills at all? (I think it's no longer permitted, but this has been going on quite some time now.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

afaik When they launched 1891 originally, they sent out a leaflet about it with the bills, which claimed 1891 was available only from Eircom. After much complaint from other ISPs, this was withdrawn, but as usual the damage was already done.

If anyone has a leaflet about this SMS thing from a bill, it would be useful to keep on file and compare.

Really, at this stage, Eircom shouldn't be allowed issue any publicity or adverts without prior approval from the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

That same Eircom Ad. was on Sky ONE @ 17:16 today (13/Dec/02), just caught the tail of it, but 'text messaging' was still listed as a feature of the phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Take a look at page 27 of today's Herald..
    Bridie O Shea lying on a couch with her Eircom phone.. clearly says "Text Messaging" bellow her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

their still selling them yokes in the eircom store in blanchardstown... its there, right in front of you when you walk in the door, that transvestite is plastered all over the place :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

Same story in donegal, Text Messaging written all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

this is an interesting situation indeed, was going to one if these cordless phones for the parents for christmas an all - as much as it pains me ti give more money to eircom :( - anyone with these phones around that can comment on the functionality of the sms ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Yes, it doesn't work!

Delighted and all that I am to see ComReg stepping in here, it kind of pisses me off considering that I just bought my new DECT phone last week! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

As this phone is made by Siemens can you just buy it straight from them (Cut out EIRCOM)?

If so try 1890 260 760

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Article in the Sunday Tribune today saying that Eircom have been brought up about the SMS ads by the ASAI. Aparantly someone has made a complaint to them and they are following it up......

Anyone here happen to complain recently?

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Article in the Sunday Tribune today saying that Eircom have been brought up about the SMS ads by the ASAI. Aparantly someone has made a complaint to them and they are following it up......

Anyone here happen to complain recently?

Originally posted by LoBo

Esat BT lodges complaint about Eircom ads
    http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=8844696

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Great! Going through my mail for the last two weeks I received a mail shot telling me to "break free"
    Send and receive text messages

eircom's new SMS text messaging service is being rolled out later this year, which iwll enable you to send and receive text messages from your eircom 4012 home phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by ando
    their still selling them yokes in the eircom store in blanchardstown... its there, right in front of you when you walk in the door, that transvestite is plastered all over the place :eek:

They have these leaflets in my local xtra-vision:

Outside of Leaflet (112k)

Inside of Leaflet (131k)

Advertisement