Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg blocks Eircom from launching fixed-line SMS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sorry to drag up an old thread, I'm just curious about this particular topic.

We have one of these phones and we're well able to send text messages from it and receive them on mobile phones.

We've only sent to O2 mobiles as that's what myself and my brother have.

Seems to be working fine.

... so... are they allowed implement this feature or not? ... 'cos it works for us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Update, originally posted by kamobe in Nets/Comms.
    Go-ahead for Eircom fixed line texting (Unison/Independent - reg req'd)

EIRCOM has been allowed to proceed with its new fixed line text messaging service after agreeing with the telecoms regulator and other licensed operators (OLOs) to provide a wholesale price whereby the latter can offer a similar service.

Eircom has also agreed to pay compensation to competitors based on their market share in the form of a percentage of sales of the product, although the incumbent still has about 95pc of the fixed line market. None of the parties involved would comment on the wholesale price agreed.

It will apply until the end of April, when a formal agreement on the cost to other OLOs, or its competitors, is expected to be decided with Eircom.

Last year, Esat BT lodged an official complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority against the incumbent, relating to the company's ongoing promotional campaign of a new fixed line text messaging product.

[...]

Advertisement