Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL up prices for analogue customers, Go Digital price reduced

• 10-12-2002 3:46pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NTL are upping the price of the Basic Service pack from 1st January.

The price of the Basic service pack for analogue customers will go up by EUR 1.37 a month, to EUR 17

The price of the Go Digital pack will go down by EUR 1.31. This means there is a net price increase of only 6c for digital customers, who now pay EUR 28.50 instead of EUR 28.44.

Clearly trying to make the Go Digital pack more popular methinks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yep, I saw the bill this month and I couldn't believe it! And now more! Time to tell the landlord to invest in an FTA box methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While the increase for digtal customers is only cents if you're analogue only thats a hike of nearly 50% in a year!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

...and according to this RTE report, a 15% hike is on the way from Chorus!! (I almost had to laugh).....

NTL cable TV prices to rise in January

NTL customers in Dublin, Galway and Waterford face a 9% hike in the price
    of their cable TV service in the New Year, according to a new price tariff
    published by the company today.

The move follows an increase of over 30% in October of last year.

The monthly charge for the basic package of TV services from NTL will
    change to €17 per month on 1st January from €15.68. Thirteen months ago it
    was €11.58.

NTL says the price increases are based on the inflation rate between
    January 2001 and October 2002, which was about 9%. In the same period NTL
    prices have risen by over 40%.

However a spokeswoman said last year's price increase was retrospective,
    and that today's increase was exactly related to inflation since the
    beginning of 2001.

She said it was a nominal increase and a fair and reasonable response to
    inflation. She said the increase compared favourably with rival cable
    operator, Chorus, which is reported to be increasing prices by 15%.

NTL also announced some reductions in the cost of its digital TV packages,
    with its basic Go Digital package falling 10% to €11.50 per month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

do what everyone is doing and go to Sky Digital. Just got it in on Monday and compared to NTL Digital.....well, there is no comparison. Also NTL still haven't come looking for their Digibox nearly 3 weeks after cancelling it. No wonder they're in banckruptcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I like the way the reduce the Digital platform.

But wait you have to have the basic package to get the digital package so then it hasn't gone down it just means that people who don't have digital are now paying for digital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The NTL Digital is advertised in a very misleading manner. They state €12.XX per month but neglect to state clearly that this is on top of their basic cable subscription of €15 odd, soon to be €17 per month.

I'll stick with NTL at least they are an employer in the country and the VAT that they charge stays in this country and dosn't go to the UK government unlike Sky Digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

At this stage I'd say more installers making living out of 360,000 Sky installs than NTLs shrinking cable base. NTL isn't Irish.

There seems to be some debate about VAT on Sky subs that has not been difinitively answered. Tony our Dublin Satellite supplier on the Forum thinks Sky does pay Irish VAT.

I don't think Sky does Ireland any favours, but I think NTL and Chorus do less. They both have dragged the foot on implementing Digital as per their licence conditions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

at the end of the day I spend my money to be provided with a decent service, not to provide the government with more revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

dunno if any of you guys experienced this but on the day they press released this increase i had no NTL service at all... rang them up this morning and they said sorry major fault in the harolds cross area. engineers are "on route"

thank god i had my trusted rabbit ears aeriel.

Advertisement