Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSP vs. PHP

Options
  • 10-12-2002 3:49pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

So I've been given the task of comparing PHP and JSP so we can decide which to use on an upcoming project.
    Now I know very little about PHP and bugger all about JSP. I've been reading a few bits and bobs on the net but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut reason to go for one or the other.
    The main reason for going for JSP seems to be its extendablity and because it scales well. The good thing about PHP is that the learning curve isn't too bad if you know a bit of programming and it should do pretty much everything I want it to.
    So is it just a matter of personal preference or is there a good reason to choose one or the other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

the example i also use is that I didnt know PHP or any kind of programming at all

Bought two books, worked on the fly using them as reference, built www.thewalls.ie

I find PHP to be easier and also loads a hell of a lot faster then any site I have seen using JSP

But thats just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Would love to hear what people have to say on this myself.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Well I do know a bit about programming and I'd be expected to be able to get up to speed fairly rapidly with which ever we choose.
    I have a perception that JSP is slower, but I suspect that isn't really true if what I have been reading today is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm a regular PHP user and have some experience with J2EE/JSP.

I'd make the distinction that if you want to run a high-end enterprise site with a huge number of hits then JSP/EJB is probably the way to go. The J2EE platform offers lots of multi-tier, load balancing and other features.

PHP on the other hand runs very fast, is very easy to develop with (in my opinion) and can produce sites very quickly. I really like PHP and find it a really good language to work in.

You can also bear in mind that PHP has functions to make it interoperable with J2EE. (Havn't used them myself)

At the end of the day I suppose once you can survive well without the J2EE features then it's a matter of personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It depends on what your project is. If its a simple enough one do PHP.

From what I've heard you have to understand Java before you use JSP which will take longer to learn compared to php which is quite simple.

Can you give a rough guide line to what your project is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by daveirl
    What books did you use? I'm looking for recomendations!

the two I use the most are

PHP Essentails
    PHP Fast & Easy Web Development

Both are books by Julie C Meloni and are published through Prima tech

also I recommend

www.phpbuilder.com

very useful resource with tutorials and a forum where anyone can get help from PHP Master to PHP Newbie (as I still am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

PHP all the way.
    There are many reason why and most are listed above.
    JSP is fair too slow and should only really be used if you are already a Java nut and the target audience has a fast connection because YES JSp is slower...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

JSP isnt noticbly slow on most appliocations.

Same with other scripting languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

PHP all the way!

Iused php and mysql to create www.kerrypages.com Its doing good so far and I love the language, quick and easy yet professional :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement