Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Virus checker ?

• 10-12-2002 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

What Virus checker would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

www.symantec.com

Norton antivirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Sposs
    www.symantec.com

Norton antivirus.

Yep, I think its better that McAfee anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For cheapskates (like me) try AntiVir Personal Edition for Windows
    which costs nothing for personal use.

www.free-av.com

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Nortons about the best I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

I reckon Norton Anti-virus is the business. It has always detected any virus sent to me so thats the most important thing, but the automatic program update is handy as it will download the latest virus definitions and update the software itself if need.

Basically if you need an easy to use, hassel free anti-virus solution Norton is the best. You can pretty much install it and then forget about it. Gets my 5/5

Mork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Currently Norton Anti-virus retails in shops for around the €50 mark.. and I'd throughly reccomend it, new virus definitions are pretty much available on a sub-weekly basis and its got a fair few options to make it more efficient as well.

As with any of the major anti-virus programs though if you're system is a bit clogged up or getting on a bit, they can make your pc seem extremely slow, if its a standalone pc, only connected to the internet via modem, then its safe enough to turn off automatic file-scanning (with Norton you can schedule it for once a month anyway), and just leave scanning enabled for mail applications and web downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Another cheap skate here ;)
    AVG Anti-Virus

Ruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

http://housecall.antivirus.com ;)

There's load of em listed @ www.majorgeeks.com too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I've got mailscanner running on our mailserver and it uses f-prot to scan incomming and outgoing mail. Not 1 virus has gotten trough it in like 5 months of use, thats only been through one big outbreak, namely bugbear and it caught 700 virus' in the first 24 hours :)

I use mcaffee on my desktop and as Kali suggests its only scanning web and email related stuff and leaves the system pretty much alone. :)

Paul

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Grisoft AVG FFS, it's free! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement