Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bootable CD

• 10-12-2002 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I have a problem ... my floppy disk controller appears to have died a death, the drive seeks and spins up and down, but always fails to read data (and no, its not dirty)(and yes I tried a different Floppy drive and cable,, no joy)

I dont use the floppy drive at all usually, but I need to go into dos mode (real dos, not just a box), to, ahem, load a special firmware for my DVD drive....

So, how do I make a bootable CD? (using Easy CD Creator Platinum 5.1), so that I can copy in my executable and run it with a few parameters ...

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You could try booting from a Microsoft OS CD (which are typically bootable CDs) and quitting out of the OS install, and launching your firmware upgrade from the hard-drive (if its not NTFS).

You could also create a bootable DOS OS on your system (again, if it's not an NTFS partition).

As for creating a bootable CD, hmm.. not too sure on that one..
    I would imagine that it would have to be an option from your CD mastering software, to create the necessary bootstrap...

Just found this:

You create an image (ISO for example) of a bootable floppy (or create the bootable CD content manually - see web-page)
    Select 'ISO9660' as the file system and select a 'bootable' option in your mastering software.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Nero has some help on creating bootable CD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by TomTom
    Nero has some help on creating bootable CD's

Yeah if you have nero, start it and cancel the wizard and select bootable cd off the list, then all ya do is put a floppy disk in and it will copy the file from the boot disk to the cd.
    alternativly you can get the .img file aswell iirc and nero will load them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Lots of information in that link ... cheers ... it'll take a while to digest though ...:eek:

But before I do anything like that, I'll see what can be done using me windows 2000 installation disk..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

:eek: Two more posts while I was posting ... shows how slow at typing I am :o

I dont have nero .... is there a shareware / freeware demo of it that will work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#download

Link to the Download on the official site (It's the full app, but theres build in lisencing)

I'm not sure home many features it disables when you Demo it.

Advertisement