Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4mb - N7650

• 10-12-2002 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Just thought id ask while im waiting for the fat lad to come down the chimney with meh 7650.

While reading reviews and stuff about the phone i have noticed that it only has 4mb of ram, now afaik this also has to run the phone so you cant use up it all ?

Now i know a few of you lads out there have it and i was wondering are any of you have problems with this ? I'm mainly asking because im building a nice big collection of apps/games to transfer when i get the phone and i noticed that doom7650 is nearly 2mb(with 1 required to play i think, or so says the webby).

So should i be worried about the surprising lack of ram this baby has ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I don't think doom will last long on your phone, I didn't find the little joystick thing to be much use as a controller as I kept 'clicking' it when I didn't mean to. :)

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Heh, but the pure poser factor of playing doom and the bus home is enough to keep it on for me :).

So i take it you have no probs with just 4mb ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by megasheep
    Heh, but the pure poser factor of playing doom and the bus home is enough to keep it on for me :).

So i take it you have no probs with just 4mb ?

true true, people r quite surprised with doom on yer fone, its well crap to play on the fone, but sounds good. and 4megs is a bit of a limit but it don't bother me really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I don't have one yet :) Though I plan to get one fairly shortly. I was quite happy with my 2MB Palm V until recently (got nicked :( ) so I don't reckon 4MB will be much of a problem for me.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Havnt gone over 3 megs used myself. Dont have any huge apps like doom installed though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

I dont find the space limitations to be troublesome. I had doom installed for about a day and then I got bored of it. I much prefer snails ( a worms knock-off) it's much smaller and much more fun.

The great thing is that if you start to run out of space you can just upload pictures or whatever that you don't need to store on the phone. Or email an app to yourself and leave it on the server for when you want to use it, then wipe it from the phone when ur done.

Ape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by megasheep
    So should i be worried about the surprising lack of ram this baby has ?

you can make do but only if you are happy to actively manage your resources - depending on the number and type of applications / games you install and the amount of contacts / photos / messages you save - you can find your phone fills - it is also necessary to have an amount of "free ram" for various applications to run smoothly

most people get miffed at first because they want to install and try out different apps so see how they work and the memory fills up, but after a while you get to know which ones you really need - the fixed 4 Meg kinda makes the decision for you - end up only having what you need rather than just throwing on everything you'd want

i set up a 7650 directory on the pc and got into a routine when do my PIM (calendar/tasks/contacts) synching with the PC Suite: - i swap the games i've loaded, manage the particular apps may/may not need until the next sync / and off load images i may have taken

for me above anything else (no bluetooth headset support / dual-band) the lack of memory expansion was most unfortunate - it would have been a killer phone with an MMC or SD card slot

if it's important to have more memory and flexibility in what you install / amount you want to store on the phone you may want to wait for the 3650 is due out next year which includes an MMC slot, it's aimed at the youth gaming/texting type with a quirky (ergonomic) form factor to go with that market.

HTH,
    Brian G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Right thanks lads for all the help, oh and dubwireless, have you seen the 3650, ugly yoke - whereas meh 7650 is sleek :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yup - the 3650 seems to produce a love hate relationship with people - they are betting on it being a hit with the youthfull 'thumb-generation' - it was a bit chunky in real-life - although i find the 7650 chunky too

hopefully the next version of the 7650 will includes all hardware improvements found in the 3650

Brian G

Advertisement