Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spyware

• 10-12-2002 5:38pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Is spyware harmfull to your PC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Not really, can just slow your computer up a bit (intraweb / processes).

Well that my understanding anyway (/me braces for the flames)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

http://www.adware.info/

It's not harmful to your computer, but it can send information about your browsing habits, etc back to base. It's usually installed silently with "freeware" apps. Examples include, but are in no way limited to BonziBuddy, Gator etc (installed with the likes of Kazaa, Morpheus)

[edit] the link gives info on spyware and adware, and states the difference between them

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

is scumware the same thing, just when microsoft do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Theres just nothing more annoying than having your own PC trying to sell you stuff by generating smart links while you're browsing the web.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone ever have that wflu thing install itself? Christ on a scooter, it's the most pervasive, annoying piece of spyware/trojan shoite I've ever seen. It installs something that constantly resets your homepage to its portal, installs a new toolbar, changes your machine's name and domain, installs all manner of shortcuts all over the place, and runs some sneaky thing in your system tray. Knuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement