Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to improve the analogue signal in the house

• 10-12-2002 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Besides the obvious lads like "get digital" what else.The house has four tv's all on boosters but still getting grainness on some channels.I am going to go through one tv at a time and check cables/connections/boosters and so on.Just wondering like is there better cable/connections you can get that will stop this signal or is there a better type of tv booster
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

what u need is a tv distribution system with the signal boosted close to the aerials as possible, usually in the loft, then feed off to each tv but u may have cable etc. If it is just terrestial u need good aerials and good cable.

Peats do a lovely distribution amp that will drive 4, 6, or 8 tv's and it works a treat.

Say a bit more like, are u using indoor or outdoor aerial and are u on VHF and UHF? Where do u get the best signal and how have u linked the boosters?

gb---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Hi GBCULLEN
    The problem is in the mothers place where she get's her signal into the house through Ntl cable.What I did a while back was to take a feed from the main box outside and bring it into the attic where I hooked it up to a tv booster with four tv points on it.I then proceed to hook up each tv from the booster,everthing was alright(still some graininess on channels) but now most of the channel look like sh$t.As I was saying in my earlier post I will more than likely take it apart and do each tv again,but was wondering if the likes of the cable is all the same or can you get better stuff
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you want to spend money on getting it right...
    1. Try a twin output variable booster down beside the ntl box (so that you can be sure the signal is as good as possible when it hits the distribution amplifier.
    2. Make sure you are using decent grade/diameter co-ax to go to the attic and other teles from there. You'd be surprised the difference this makes.
    3. Make sure the co-ax stays a reasonable distance from all mains cables
    4. Make sure the distribution box in the attic is of decent quality. Compare signal loss and gain specs with other distribution boxes. Ideally you'd like a gain control on each output, but that's expensive, you could try a high-gain distribution box and if the signal is over-boosted (will cause ghost like interference) you could try using variable-attenuators (under a tenner in Peats last time I got one). That way the high-gain amplifier/distribution box will be strong enough for the furthest away tele, but not too high for closer teles (because you've reduced the signal strength again with the attenuator)

.cg

Appreciate that
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

This may sound like a daft question but when u took the feed from the NTL box outside was it the same feed as originally or are u using a spare outlet? ie having 2 feeds from the box.

GB---

• Advertisement

Couldn't do that,it would be illegal:D .All joking aside I just used the original one,as I said I will go from the start and do it step by step

Advertisement