Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a xmas prezzie for the Girlfriend?

• 11-12-2002 3:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey,

I'm going out with a girl for the past 2 months or so. And if you haven't realised, Santy is comin to town soon... which also implies that I will have to buy her a present...

I haven't a clue what to get for her.

About her: She's 23, sporty. Student. Not a girly-girl (i.e. not big into perfume and make up, jewelry and all that crap).

Budget of say €100.

any ideas?

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Some sporty thing.. maybe a heart rate monitor or something... then again i have luckily escaped having to buy a girlfriend anything at Christmas so what do i know? Eh... maybe someone else should make suggestions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i take you never talk to her.
    if you did you would realise what sort of things she likes. like what her hobbies are, or what she likes to do at the weekend, or what things interest her.

or just buy her some sort of candle set up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

yup

candle holders
    floating candle holders
    videos or dvd's
    a set of screw drivers are always handy (thinking of meself here)
    bath oils, creams etc (even non-girlie girlie's need to wash!)
    as she's a student - perhaps food/drink vouchers would be a good idea!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I was going to say really nice, f*** off expensive, really sexy underwear, but then again, you have only been seeing eachother for two months so it's unlikely you'll know exactly what the measurements are. I never realised that womens underwear could be so expensive until I paid 75 Irish for a bra and 45 for a string. Tsk tsk.

Budget of 100 eh? What sports is she into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

sex toy's...and a weekend out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Kell
    I was going to say really nice f***

I'm sorry.. that was enough of that post for me :D

Yeah, sex toys are good. I likes that idea. How about sex toys and a webcam and a live feed to boards.ie? Bet she's never seen a present like that. So long as she is good lookin of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A sex toy mounted web-cam ;)

She does seem slightly more awkwayd to buy a present for than your usual perfume or jewelry case.

So long as you don't buy her anything stupid you'll be OK.
    (I remember a friend of mine spending a whole day worried that her boyfriend had bought her ear-rings even though she didn't have pierced ears ... I repeat, nothing stupid ;) )

A nice Polartec Windbloc fleece. Great for outdoor enthusiasts, windproof, breathable and will set you back about €110 in the Great Outdoors. You cant lose- it's functional, fashionable and so long as you dont mess up the colour she'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Its made of plastic and goes buzz......
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,4879,138,00.html well i's an honest idea :D

• Advertisement

A phone? How lame is that? Unless it has sex toy add ons, plus built in web cam and vibrates while it goes buzz.

Shes a bloody student AND a woman she probably has a phone grafted to her head its a good gift and usefull. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well if it has vibrate surely you can then turn her on with every phone call you make. hehe

ok crap joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

just buy her some sort of candle set up.

*Laughs Heartily*

WWM you're a true new-age man in touch with your feminine side! (I got my g/f a crappy little candles/essential oils joint as part of her gift!)

I'd go the underwear route personally- I got one of those Gossard diamante (spelling?) g-string avec bra combos a few weeks back and they went down a storm. Plus from my point of view it's 'the gift that keeps on giving'.

Expensive tho'

I saw pictures of that Gossard Diamonte range being modelled in BT's. Ozpass, you got taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Sparkle sparkle!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Dont get her something expensive or she'll expect expensive things in the future.
    Take her to McDonalds or something. Buy her a happy meal and say HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!.

Originally posted by ozpass
    Sparkle sparkle!:D

Is that your teeth or your eyes? I agree with starting off with expensive presents. The looks some people hit you with when you hand them a gift that you bought for a fiver in the pound shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Kell
    Yeah, sex toys are good. I likes that idea. How about sex toys and a webcam and a live feed to boards.ie? Bet she's never seen a present like that. So long as she is good lookin of course.

Lotsof fun if she unwraps her present with the rest f her family.
    Her Grans funeral could be just before New Year...

Originally posted by Chief---
    Take her to McDonalds or something. Buy her a happy meal and say HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!.

You're single, aren't you??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    You're single, aren't you??

HAHAHAHAHA! Hammer. Nail. Head.

Best thing is to ask her what she wants. Buy that for her and then some token cutesy thing (Candle set as nicely suggested). That way she gets what she wants and thinks you've put some thought into it at the same time.

:)

Originally posted by seamus
    Best thing is to ask her what she wants. Buy that for her and then some token cutesy thing (Candle set as nicely suggested). That way she gets what she wants and thinks you've put some thought into it at the same time.

:)

and your NOT single, are you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Get her a weekend away. With you, of course. Great for both of you and wonderful for a relatoinship of that length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

and your NOT single, are you? :D

pssssttttt..... I think she likes you...

(thats the point you should afraid) :D

joking.

Asking her what she would like sounds best, but do put something extra in. As said adove, it does look as though you put some effort in to it :)

a bit off topic, but do you think if I asked santa for a girl-friend, he's send one my way? :D

Me= too single

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

give her your 'dunnes stores' value card :D

Originally posted by sutty
    Me= too single

I'm not at all surprised.............

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

best thing is to talk to one of her friends about it, jut ak them to do u a favour, and also buy them something in return.

if all else fails, Chocolate(or same flavoured body paint) and a barry whit CD should work.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh Yea, GEtt'n It Together Babe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'm not at all surprised.............

:p

Off topic again...

HEY!!!!!

errrr... whats that meant to mean?

Best thing to do is think of something she mentioned off hand ages ago. This allways works well cuz thats the way wemons brains work and she lov you for remembering that little thing she said.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seamus
    Best thing is to ask her what she wants. Buy that for her and then some token cutesy thing (Candle set as nicely suggested).

Can we go back to the vibrating, sex toy mobile phones in front of grannys with live web feeds for a minute? No but seriously, make a list of possibles based on her likes/dislikes/what you'd like to see her in etc etc etc and by process of elimination you'll come up with exactly the right present that will suit her perfectly.

In fact, it will suit her so perfectly she'll thank you by getting her buzzing Nokia 82000000 with sex toy adapter, web cam and live feed that I got her, and put it to good use right then and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Best thing to do is think of something she mentioned off hand ages ago.

Too True Wolf.

Now if only I was listening instead of watching football I'd be sorted! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

This best idea is to ask her what she'd like and throw a little something extra in on the day. It'll be a nice suprise. Trust me after 2 years i know. I also know that no matter how sporty or whatever she is, she'll like jewellery ALL WOMEN DO!!! So a nice chain or watch (not sports - silver or white gold is good) to go with whatever she axes for... You can't lose!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Polonious
    Trust me after 2 years i know.
    Wow, after 14 years I still don't know.

I bow down to you o prodigy!

He he he, good point Gordo. I spose i meant i have a better idea rather than i actually know. Cos let's face it no man will ever actually know!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Count urself lucky that its not a boyf u have to buy for!! Girls are so easy to get pressies for in comparison,

• Advertisement

Na, no way. Guys are so easily amused, it does'nt take much thought at all! Girls on the other hand.... Hmmm they tend to change their mind as often as their underwear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

listen to her
    she's probably dropping hints left right and centre
    i did that last yr to my boyf and did i get what i wanted???? well....some of it....i think he realsied i was dropping hints but became a bit too over zelous with the paying attention so i got some of what i wanted and other things i'd actuially just mentioned in passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by thedrowner
    listen to her
    she's probably dropping hints left right and centre

That's what you think. Men don't take hints. You have to tell them straight out. Subtlety goes over our heads cos it's a pointless waste of time. Just say what you want.

Marge Simpson said it best:
    "When Homer does something wrong, I write out a list of everything he could do to make it up to me. Then I shred it up and put it in his food"

:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no offence and this isnt an attack on men either,
    But girls and hints are a different world we drop them we think they are blatently obvious as in oohh look at that its really nice spend bout 20 minutes oohhing and aahhing at it and men just dont get it!!
    A guy drops a hint we tend to get them as by now we are experts!
    If you are only going out witht her 2 months something cool rather then sexy/sexual etc might be a good idea and something sorta generic,
    Women love teddies,nice meals,lava lamps(the perfect present for anyone!!)fun stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Do what i'm doing - ask her best friend :)

Seriously, my girlfriends asking my best mate what to get me and i'm asking hers. sorts out everything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

i did that last yr to my boyf and did i get what i wanted???? well....some of it....i think he realsied i was dropping hints
    Spelling it out in the spagetti Hoops?

no seriously, Just ask her best Friend to give u clue by getting her to ask your Gurlfriend.
    Gawd its so simplistic, no wonder u cant get it.

O BTW, any of yee get that Perfect Couple Email thing, about the Perfect Couple on Christmas eve?

I'd say a nice puffa jacket would go down a treat (if she hasnt got one). They seem tremendously popular at the mo. Also, Argos have these dinky shower radios in. Could be worth a shot.

hehehehehehehehehehehehehe puffa jackets hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Advertisement