Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peer to peer network troubles

• 11-12-2002 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

hey guy's (girls)

Having a problem with a peer to peer network at home.
    Two pc's one running windows 98 and the other windows Xp professional.

I have bought one of those peer to peer network kits in Maplin and installed the two network cards and installed drivers that came with it.
    First day i could play on the network and everything went smoothly, second day only UT worked (unreal tournament) Mohaa didnt show up any servers created (even though we had one up and running , we couldnt see it , no matter how many times we refreshed the list.) Today, nothing can be seen except the root but not the other shared drives from the other pc's.
    Now i have been fiddling around with the setting and tried to make a network setup disk which i installed on both machines but to no avail. I actually think i messed it up even more now then it was before. so my question is:

How do i start from scratch ? how to remove these settings and connections?
    what's the easiest way to hook them all up ?

( i know , i know , this is suppose to be easy and all that, still could use some help)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Go to the TCP/IP properties on both machines.

Set the IP/ Subnet mask of the two machines to:

Machine 1: 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0)

Machine 2: 192.168.0.2 (255.255.255.0)

Now they should be able to communicate over the crossover. Open up a DOS prompt on each machine and type:

ping localhost
    (that should definitely work and proves that the network card is working)

ping 192.168.0.2
    (from machine 1 to machine 2)

There should also be a link light on the back of each network card, and if the Network connection indicator is in the tray it should show some activity.

You'll probably then need to change the NetBIOS settings to get file sharing working.

As always with networking it's generally about messing till it works properly (theres always some glitches and reboots are sometimes required), just make sure you don't change something without knowing how to put it back.

That should get you most of the way to connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

hey thanks !
    I will try this

Advertisement