Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio One to air Classic Goon Shows

Options
  • 11-12-2002 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.radio1.ie/weekend/classicgoons/

Good news for fans of Milligan, Secombe and Sellers.

(Personally, I have all the shows they released on CD (that's 19 double CD's - 72 episodes, the BBC 50th anniversary reunion special "The Last Goon Show of All" - which I also have on video, The 'documentary' show "At Last The Go On Show" and a CD burned from MP3 - the tribute show by the Goons' sons and other performers "Goon Again" - plus a few books with scripts and other info... so eh... yeah, I guess I'm a fan ;) )

The launch of The Goons in 1951 turned radio comedy on its head. They used music, sound effects and silence as never before and opened up a whole new world of comedy. With hilarious and outrageous sketches, they entertained and delighted audiences and achieved stardom, royal acclaim and accolades of every kind.

From Saturday 7 December, in the comedy slot at 11.02am, RTÉ Radio 1 presents an eight part series of "The Goons" featuring Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe and Spike Milligan, with music by the Ray Ellington Quartet and Max Geldray. The first of the classic comedy shows is called The Spanish Suitcase.

It is difficult for even the addict to define Goonism: to the Goons themselves it meant "bringing any situation to its illogical conclusion". Fantastic as the Goon Show plots are, there is always a reason for everything that happens. Each Goon story is a struggle between the forces of evil and those of good.

Advertisement