Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODMR Mail

Options
  • 11-12-2002 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

ODMR Mail as a (lower cost) alternative to leased line/fixed IP email services from the ISPs,

Anyone using it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The mailing from hosting 365 regarding their ODMR mail offering kinda left me scratching my head as to what it was, what use it was and whether I wanted it or not... ( ... mind you, first thing in the morning an email about a free lamborghini with a beautiful naked female chauffeur would probably have the same effect... "WHA??? BUHHH??? WEHHH??? ER... COFFFEEEEEEE!" )

Anyway... can you (please!) briefly explain what exactly ODMR mail is? (in "layman's" terms if possible)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

:)

In simple terms, companies that, at the moment, are tied to an ISP with a fixed IP (either over dial-up or leased line, etc) for their SMTP email service (MS Exchange usually) can now use ODMR to allow them to be completely carrier independant and still have a fully functional SMTP service, without needing a fixed IP either :)

It stands for On Demand Mail Relaying :)

Full techie speak here http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2645.html

Advertisement