Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SMART Cars in Ireland...?

Options
  • 11-12-2002 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the right handed SMART cars will be available in Ireland?

More to the point... anyone know WHO will be distributing / selling them?

My wife has gone potty about these cars ever since she saw them in Amsterdamn, and she is intent on getting one as soon as they become available here.

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are like the Renault Twingo - LHD only. I think the maufacturers took the view it was'nt viable to tool up for RHD production on a cheap car with small sales volumns.

Whoa edit! I've just looked here -
    http://www.smartcar-owner.co.uk/right_hand_drive_smart.htm

and they will be avialible in the UK around now, but I bet there is dreadful under supply for some time and prices here will proberly be through the roof. UK spec starts at £6,300 so start converting then add VRT! I imagine there will be a single importer here who
    can name his price. :(

(could'nt see myself in one!)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Wasnt there a longish thread bout this sometime early this year? try a search..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think their are distributors in the north but theres none in the south I don't think. You'd have to bring it in as a personal import. Cool little cars though I heard they aren't all that cheap to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Huh?? I have seen a load of these cars in Dublin.. by load i mean probably 5 or 6.. or maybe it was the same car 5 or 6 times but they are available!

Originally posted by Saruman
    Huh?? I have seen a load of these cars in Dublin.. by load i mean probably 5 or 6.. or maybe it was the same car 5 or 6 times but they are available!

I've seen about 10 or so. But they are all lelt hand drive and all imports. There isn't a dealer for them in Ireland. BTW there was one for sale in CBG last week or so. Maybe you could get one 2nd hand easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

What I really wanted to know was "when" dealers would be appointed etc

Thanks anyway.

c0y0te

Send a letter to Smart HQ where ever it is. You'll probably get a ton of info from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How many Ooompa Loompas can you fit into a smart car??

No really how many?

Advertisement