Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, who's in Carlow it?????

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ali.g

ah yes enda dunican had him last year.....i have a good mail e mail bout him its title "PASCAL ACCORDING TO ENDA DUNICAN"...
    its basically text from the bible with reference to enda and the infamous turbo pascal "6.0"......he passed me so i suoppose thats something!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Well if you passed then your are still a student!!
    Lets go get drunk together!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I did my time down in Carlow (BSc + MSc). Who's still down there? Nige? Austin? Is John Hegarty still running things down there?

The good old days.

Austin is still here but i don't know the other too!!

Things have changed so. Who's working in the network/computer admin now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

Just wondering is there a girl called Hannah Fortune is she still in it Carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭lulu

Hi folks Im a 3rd year student in carlow also, studing computer systems. seems like all my class do is log in here for the day, cant say i blame them do, its highly amusing!! lulu

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Fergal Flanigan is now the computer services boss. One of the old IT managers (Paul Barry) now lectures in perl and networking and other beardy things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

does he have a beard? or even some fashionable stubble?

Ah Fergy. Nice chap. He was the multimedia bloke when I was there. What about the other techies? Colm? Ger?

I remember Paul as well. He was the IT manager when I was there. Him and his missus were on an Irish Permanent ad on the TV a few years ago.

What sort of projects do you do in 3rd/4th year now?

• Advertisement

dunno bout 3/4th year yet but our second yr programmin project is design a database and program for a dental surgery system....its not the heardest but its time consuming theres a lot of stuff to be done.....ive bout 4 other projects to be done :-(.....
    ....john fogarty gives me a laugh he sounds like a pure posh south dubliner but looks like a mongolian camel !!! not the worst f lecturers though!! eamon cass is as boring though !!

Originally posted by Mordeth
    does he have a beard? or even some fashionable stubble?
    Surprisingly ... no.

Ha. Ssac Nomae is still on the go. There's a larf. (We used to reverse the names of the lecturers so they wouldn't know who we were talking about). Yeah, he takes the biscuit alright. I think part of the problem is that he doesn't have classes in anything interesting (data processing? databases?)

So things don't look as if they've changed much regarding projects. Hell, from other messages I've seen here, you're still learning Pascal in first year. I suppose that's the way it'll stay while Austin is still there. It should be C. There's not a huge difference between Pascal and C so you might as well just be learning it from year 1.

Anyway, I can't complain. I am where I am partly because of Carlow and some of the people it used to have. Way back when Carlow had a good reputation. I think the only thing decent down there is the networking and optical communcations course (if that's still on the go).

yeah them courses still on the go...ya i did pascal last year it was easy enough but would have liked to have done another language as well.....im doin the applications end user side of the programming course now its ok but der r some pointless subjects in it like DeskTopPublishing its pure crap some are good though i like Multimedia/TCD-HCI and Novell their pretty interesting...the only thing is now though its not the best run course of the IT ..like a few of the lecturers dont turn up for some classes and there is the amount of failures and dropouts in the course is increasing!!!!

Novell? They're giving classes in Novell? My God. It's worse than I thought. How about Linux? Any course content to any type of Unix? They used to do it in third year when I was there. It doesn't seem as if there's anyone that cares any more. Sure, we had lecturers that didn't turn up. That happens everywhere (look in the Education/College Work/Lecturers thread).

When I was there we had this fella who gave Carlow the status that it used to have. He got companies involved in designing the courses. He instigated the NOC course but now he's down in Cork and he continues to play a blinder. It sounds like the staff are a bunch of 9 to occasionally-5'ers not concerned with the standards required these days of graduates. I don't know. Maybe they're concentrating on 4th year (degree) course material. I don't know what's going on there at all. It doesn't sound like they've kept in touch with changes in technology too much. That's what happens when there isn't enough young blood in the teaching staff. The courses just loose contact with the real world.

Well, I hope I haven't sufficiently dampened your spirits! If you are planning on getting into third/fourth year you're probably better off taking it upon yourself to get a summer job with a company and forging your own links. For God's sake, at least do a project which is based on current trends. If I was down there I'd be looking at wireless comms as a basis for a project. I reckon that, because Eircom are exquisitly slow at getting their DSL cable out of their ars*s, people will be using wireless comms to connect to an ISP of some sort etc. etc. etc. Please don't tell me that they're still doing naff things like graphics packages and JSP design tools. While they might be more into the mechanics of doing a project, they can, at least for the students' sake, make it relevant to the industry.

I shan't spend any more time getting serious in a topic which seems to be devoted to talking to the person in the next lab.

I'll leave yiz to it.

I shan't spend any more time getting serious in a topic which seems to be devoted to talking to the person in the next lab.

/me bows to his new God.

preach! :)

We do linux with Paul Barry!!
    2nd Year Networking Degree!!

Yeh ... He's teaching us perl. We're doing some stinking java too with Ross Palmer :)

we are doing linux with gerry maloney, ( when ever he comes in or the labs are not closed down for more renovations) Get more learning from one of my pals than from the lecturer, now thats where the real talent is.. some of the guys in my year are deadly, far ahead of the lecturers.

yeah theres a few guys like that in my class too!!
    I am bored ****less in one of my Maths classes cause its stuff i did in junior cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

hey lulu,
    I presume your talking about me being brillant in you unix class... your not, whatta ye mean your not...
    :confused:

gogo

You just know that i think your deadly at everything gogo ( well at least gossiping)

yea unix is easy enough...a lot of lecturers here think Perl should be the language used for 1st year programmers instead of d useless pascal as Perl is reckoned to be just as powerful a language than C....bout the lecturers i think the lecturers(wel most of em) here use their notes and slides they use 20yrs ago and jus care bout gettin paid and doing their work instead of trying to keep up with todays technologies as it involves studyin whats going on today so they just use their ancient notes as its the only thing they know!!!! if i (hopefully) get into 3rd year and get my distinction (which is doubtful) i wanna change to NUIG or somewhere like that!!! id love to get a job in some sort of company involving computing somewhere but where to look is the problem.....i know a few people working in Intel but thay said its not likely theyll take on summer workers....i guess ill prob be stuck doin barwork in d foundry 4d summer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Yea that sucks why do we have to learn Pascal in first year. We'd be better off learning a language that we'd use in our careers. i.e java, c/c++, vb

I am a 2nd year and i have a reasonable grasp of Java and am starting Perl which is a deadly language with its lack of structue and all that!!

friday_01_01.jpg

lol :D

Stephen man you have gone too far!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=318

a link to the carlow It board.

we fought the good fight, and we have prevailed!

Advertisement