Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its probably been done befoer but...

Options
  • 11-12-2002 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

why are Tool so popular.

I really dont get it - I have tried and tried to listen to them and get into their lyrical and musical style, but for the life of me it just wont happen.

When all is said and done, peronsally I think they are crap and seeing them at Ozzfest just confirmed that belief

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I never liked them much myself, some songs are ok tho.
    But then you gotta ask yourself why people like linkin park etc, just personal taste. (although unlike linkin park etc, i dont think people like tool cos its 'cool'......)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I have also tried to like them. I mean, you listen to them and can't really see anything wrong with them. They can play there instruments well, they have a decent vocalist, I assume they write there own music. But they are just so damn boring. No exitement in their music whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I like Tool, but I can't really give any reason beyond I listened to them, and I liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Either background music or taken song by song... I thought I'd hate them when i first heard them but i've gotta say i've grown quite fond of them.

But yeah... it IS oddly dull music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i have to admit i didn't like them when i first heard their songs but some of them are actually quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

well im takin a dig at anyone but you shouldn't have to try and like a band just because there popular, just listen to them on your own time and well if you dont like them, then that should be a problem or bother you.
    As everyone has there own preferred tastes, so if there not your cup of tea well just move onto the next band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by ThenComesDudley
    well im takin a dig at anyone but you shouldn't have to try and like a band just because there popular, just listen to them on your own time and well if you dont like them, then that should be a problem or bother you.
    As everyone has there own preferred tastes, so if there not your cup of tea well just move onto the next band.

who are you digging at, I have been offered to listen to Tool CDs as far back as I can remember - even before (oh no) they were considered popular - didnt get it then, still dont get it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

not you im just sayin in general people shouldnt have to try to listen to a band,
    but just let it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i think they are a really great band.
    for a long time i had heard people talk about them and decided to buy lateralus(i copped on late!)
    tool are you of very few metal bands who are trying something different in my opinion.

without wanting to sound all high and mighty in a "ive studied music so i should know best" sort of way, if you analyse what actually happens in their songs, you can see this band really know what they are doing.

while it ultimately boils down to personal taste, all i can say is give tool a chance, after repeated listening they creep inside of you and embed themselves in your brain.you notice things going on you didnt notice before.

they have a formula to many of their songs,most rise to climax and there is a good chance you may have given up on the song before the really great bit kicks in.
    its kink of weird cus i was listening to the patient just a minute before i read the post,and if you want to hear great musicianship fast forward to 5mins 20 in the song.its one of those moments where an orchestra wouldnt sound out of place,metallica style.

PLEASE give them another chance if you didnt like them at first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They're a decent band.

I'd agree with what smackbunnybaby has to say, but the same could be true of any progressive band.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Smoke some wacky tobaccy, listen to them and then see what you think of them. Thats what I did anyway... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

He brought out a heater at Ozzfest, and plugged it in on stage. I doubt it did much good, but it was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ive also wondered that about Nirvana, everyone seems to love them but their pretty darn cr*p in my opinion :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They're too intellectual for me :)

Advertisement