Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good modem ?

• 11-12-2002 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good hardware 56K modem (internal). Looking to spend up to €40. Where is the best place to buy on-line ? Komplett are crap for modems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

There very rare to find. You'd have better luck looking for a second hand external modem (one that hooks up to your parallel port)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

Parallel Modems ? ? I think you mean serial modems :)

The advice is still sound.. an external is a good way to go, there are several good ones, I remember I used to have a vEverything Courier from USR and it was the bees knees :) .

Good internals are hard to find, especially PCI ones.
    Go with good brands like Diamond Supra Express, or Multitech..

On the External side of things, I found the Elsa Microlink 56K Fun II , quite good even on noisy lines. ( I am not near the city so line quality would not be the best)

Other than that, I would suggest trying to look for a Lucent (Agere) based modems ,as they usually have better driver support (also supported in Linux) and more often than not have better filtering on noisy lines. Dell, Gateway, Compaq all used Lucent based modems in their PCs.

Things to avoid.

Cheap Conexant, or Motorola based modems. A new one to come to market is based on the NetoDragon chipset (Netodragon.?? I know :)) .
    These modems are usually quite cheap falling in the 15-30 euro mark.
    Good performance from these modems is a hit and miss affair, and more usually a miss.
    It could be worth a look in the box to see a if a lucent (Agere) chipset lurks there.. It might be worth a chance, if can get a money back guarantee..

My 2 c

Eric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by sutty
    There very rare to find. You'd have better luck looking for a second hand external modem (one that hooks up to your parallel port)
    *cough*serial port*cough*

;) More seriously, though, http://www.marx-computers.com/ sell a hardware internal modem for E35 inc. VAT...

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

lol... so I did :D

Have damn printers on my mind :(

anywho, the modems listed there are good ones. You'd also what an rockwell (spell) based one as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by sutty
    Have damn printers on my mind :(

anywho, the printers listed there are good ones. You'd also what an rockwell (spell) based one as well

Apparently so :p
    Gadget
    P.S.> Rockwell are now known as "Conexant", and from what I've seen most of their modem chipsets are so-called "winmodem" jobbies...

• Advertisement
Advertisement