Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rant about UCC

• 11-12-2002 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

This is a new site to promote active discussion within the walls of UCC on various topics, mostly the ineptitude the of the present "Students Union" and to create both awarness of various shortcomings of the "Students Union" and it is an attempt to create a change in the apathetic attitude of the student body and show them change is possible.

www.therant.tk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ouch... popups and javascript errors :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Pep
    This is a new site to promote active discussion within the walls of UCC on various topics, mostly the ineptitude the of the present "Students Union" and to create both awarness of various shortcomings of the "Students Union" and it is an attempt to create a change in the apathetic attitude of the student body and show them change is possible.

www.therant.tk

and to do this you are going to plaster every free space on campus with ridiculous rant.tk stickers? Not only are they a hypocritical eyesore but it's wasting college money to get the damn things removed.

As for active discussion on your 'forum'? I read one person talking about a **** he took in the Boole library toilets. I read the mockery you posted linking the Fianna Faíl cumman to Naziism. What has this slanderous 'journalism' got to do with the SU, who in my opinion do as much as can be asked of them for very little return. Oh and to top it all off, all the 'journalists' at therant.tk write anonymously or under pseudonoms.

What a bloated ****in' cum farm.

Dave did you make the website? And how much do you contribute to The Rant, and under what alias? (I'm just curious)

I dont know much bout UCC since I rarely visit the place, but its funny how you say the sebatical officers claim that they have no political affiliations since the Mehigans are the most dedicated Fianna Fáilers i've ever seen :)

I signed up out of interest, but if all I get is juvenile spam about anuses and floating turds then I wouldn't expect anyone to take it seriously.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by daveirl

Raskolnikov:
    You're missing the point completely.

The point that it's a forum for people to discuss issues that effect UCC? I don't dispute that.

The SU Paper is a load of ****, it's really badly written and completely censored by the SU.

I've only browsed through it once, couldn't agree more, it certainly doesn't need the kind of moolah that it does get. Surely this has more to do with the college though.
    Some interesting things about the SU for you, since you seem to be pretty favourable to them.

I have no affiliation with anyone in the SU. However i think they have been getting an awful lot of unfair criticism. The SU does an awful lot of charity work, it's against the reintroduction of fees etc. From what i can see the the SU are just trying to do the best job they can for students.

1. Paul Kearney, last year's president of the SU has gone and got him self and nice cushy, well paying job with Cambell's Catering. Is it any wonder that the SU seem incapable of campaigning effectively against the astronomical cost of food, if they have the incentive of a job hanging in front of their faces.

You're suggesting that Paul Kearney got this job as a result of some sort of backahander? It couldn't ever possibly be because he is a unversity graduate with an honours degree in Commerce (?). As for the cost of food being astronomical? The prices aren't that bad, i believe i payed €2.10 or something for suasages and potatoes, seems reasonable to me.

2. Cáit Meighan and Tommy Reidy, are current sebatical officers and both claim that they have no political affiliations, but instead are in fact active members of FF and FG respectively.

How is one supposed to trust Cáit the welfare officer to campaign effectively against her own party??

I could go on forever about this...

Well they mustn't be doing too good job of 'towing the party line' if they're campaigning against their respective parties in relation to fees.

Maybe the people at the rant should consider getting a forum here, a Yahoo! group isn't exactly the best means of debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theorangeone

Just a few comments about things said here about theRANT:

The turd/anus stuff is called 'humour', or 'satire' - it's supposed to be a diversion. Furthermore, that is not emailed to anyone and is only available on the site - so you needn't worry about getting 'spam'.

Also - the Fianna Fail/Nazi thing was also satire. If you don't get it, or don't think it's funny, that's fine. But if you think it's slanderous or shouldn't be allowed, you have an interesting opinion of journalism.

Finally, Phil O'Callaghan does not 'run' theRANT. See recent article re same.

Originally posted by theorangeone
    The turd/anus stuff is called 'humour', or 'satire' - it's supposed to be a diversion.

I would call it 'stupid'. It works well as a diversion since it diverts your attention from any content on the site that might be worth reading and creates a poor first impression. But now I see that its just someone's column, so fair enough. If you want the Rant to be taken seriously, I would just suggest that you move "The Funnies" section down two levels on the nav menu so that its not the first thing you see upon visiting the site. I agree with Rask's idea about a forum on boards.ie. At the moment I have 30 unread theRant emails in my inbox; it would be nice to have it all nicely arranged on a bulletin board with easy [ quote][ /quote] debating, a large and active Cork userbase, and all the other perks that come with vbb. :cool: <--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well i'll be precfectly honest with you, I've been in UCC for 3 years, and every year I give out about the SU. But i'll doubt you'll ever see my name on a ballot sheet. The whole thing is rediculous. The minority of students who vote, combined with the tiny tiny minority of those who actually stand for election. Personally I don't think they should have any "power" at all.

That said, alot of my anger this year is aimed at last year's SU for approving the smoking ban in all campus resteraunts (confirmed by the SU at this years Socs Guild AGM). I'm not going to start the whole smoker's rights issue again :), and i would have agreed to a ban for between 12 and 2, but an all day ban is a little silly, esp when it doesn't apply to the cafe in the Student's Building.

I just don't feel that I should have to obey any decisions made by them. Especially of a scale as this particular decision was. Why wasn't there a vote taken on it, or debates held over the issue, or even some kind of warning given to students? I lit up in the old smoking section of the campus kitchen on the first morning of college, while i was having coffee with a mate, not having a clue that any ban had been put in place.

Anyways sorry for the rant, no pun intended. I can't say I agree 100% with the whole email list idea. In my own experience they are a bad idea, esp if one cannot check their mail daily. Opening your inbox to find 100+ new messages can be quite annoying when you're waiting for a friend to mail you something.

Plus why don't yee organise debate/meetings to highlight your concerns to ppl on campus that aren't active on the net? It would be the best way of getting both publicity and your messages across. Or (knowing UCC students) organise a large piss up in some random student bar and pass out leaflets and such and make ppl aware of the kinda stuff your worried about.

Or you could do what most of us do and be quiet and concentrate on you degrees. It's only 3/4 years guys... :D

Advertisement