Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Dialup numbers

• 11-12-2002 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

When i dial up using the new 1890 924 042
    I get low download speeds i.e. 3.xx kbps
    but using the old 2509811
    I get 4.xx or 5.xx

Can anyone explain why the new no. is giving me trouble ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Have you created a new connection for the new number or are you just changing the phone number in your original IOL Free connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

erm just changing the number
    I'm guessing a should create a new connection ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

My connection frequently craps out on the new 1890 number. e.g. It works perfectly for about 10 minutes then just stops connecting to webservers, despite the fact that data is shuffling back and forth at a merry rate.

Disconnect and re-connect and the same thing happens.

Connect on the old local number and it's perfect....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Made a new connection
    its workin a treat now cheers

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 joeyb2k7

I am only getting 3.xx kbps can someone help? Tried calling eircom but aparently they dont support dial up anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

The zombiest thread resurrection ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

nearly 15 years later - impressive.

Google "modem strings" - I have a load of links in my bookmarks from when I used to do Tech Support, but unsurprisingly they're all dead.

EDIT: found a live one: http://www.modemhelp.org/inits/index.html
    ah, memories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

joeyb2k7 wrote: »

Your still on dial up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A speedtest result from 2012 performed in New Zealand ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I too am having serious problems with eir and am close to telling them to cancel the landline. I downgraded from fibre to dialup. I found an old orange and navy eircom disc and after some difficulty (dialup number on disc was wrong) got it working on my pc, from where i was able to set up internet connection sharing via wifi. So far so good. However, I'm having serious problems. Netflix, fair enough I didn't expect 4k quality but the login screen doesn't even appear. Hotmail could take 2 minutes just to load an email. It's not the browser as i tried it on internet explorer as well as netscape navigator. And i don't seem to be able to connect to the usenet server. HELP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Tenigate wrote: »
    I too am having serious problems with eir and am close to telling them to cancel the landline. I downgraded from fibre to dialup. I found an old orange and navy eircom disc and after some difficulty (dialup number on disc was wrong) got it working on my pc, from where i was able to set up internet connection sharing via wifi. So far so good. However, I'm having serious problems. Netflix, fair enough I didn't expect 4k quality but the login screen doesn't even appear. Hotmail could take 2 minutes just to load an email. It's not the browser as i tried it on internet explorer as well as netscape navigator. And i don't seem to be able to connect to the usenet server. HELP

LOL great joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You probably need to change some settings in system.ini in your Windows 3.1 installation :)

system.ini is modified... fingers crossed lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

system.ini is modified... fingers crossed lads!

Did you save the orignal to your floppy?

How do I do that... do you have a tutorial on where I would put this floppy and the backup procedure. perhaps there is a .bat file I can use? #fdisk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The sound a Zombie thread makes .....

.. go on own up who listened to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ok kids, fun is over :)

2002 jayyysssuusssss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement