Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTFS partition query

Options
  • 12-12-2002 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have two hard drives both using the fat32 system under windows xp.

I am getting into video/dvd editing and so here lies the problem.
    fat32 as you probably know can only handle file sizes <4gb and any form of video capture can easily gobble that up in no time.
    So here's the question my second drive that i use for backups is a 60gig drive and the main drive where xp is installed is only 12gigs.
    Can i convert my backup drive to NTFS WITHOUT losing my backed up data or is this not possible as the Fat32 xp drive cannot read the ntfs drive ?

Would this mean i would have to convert both drives to ntfs ?

Thanx:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

You can convert either or both to ntfs without data loss.

Go to a command prompt, and type 'convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs'

Then next timke you reboot, it will be converted.
    It is suprosingly quick and painless.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

or easier GUI based way to do it

is go to start run
    and type mmc

select add/remove snap in from file menu bar
    and select disk manager
    click add

right click on the selected driver
    and u get the appropriate options

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jim_rebels

Both the CLI and GUI options mentioned will work and the data does not have to be backed up (though it wouldn't be a bad idea).
    I have do it loads of times and never seen it crash but theres always a first time for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

remember once you change to NTFS you cant go back to FAT32 without losing all your data

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Thanx guys :)

The reason that i did not do this last i formatted was i think there are certain third party system progs that don't like ntfs , can't remember could be a defrag prog , norton utilities or something.

like i said , does the main drive have to be converted as well to read the ntfs backup drive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

nope
    win2k and xp support fat16/32 and ntfs read and write

Advertisement