Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland Neutral?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Despite existing in its current form "only" since 1848, Switzerland has a long history - one where it formed the basis of its modern day military. Similarly, as already pointed out, Sweden has an equally long history - again where the basis of its modern military was founded.

Ireland, on the other hand, was kept in subjugation by a foreign nation for several hundred years, to the extent that it is not unfair to say that it was ensured we didnt have a native military.

Both of these nations have also had similar lengths of time to build up their economies.

Thus, when Ireland gained its independance in the early parts of the last century, we were a nation without a military. We were also a nation without a proper economy. Hell - we didnt even have widespread electricity until the 30s.

It is throughly impractical to suggest that Ireland should (or indeed could) have a military actually capable of mounting a proper defence for our nation. Historically, we have neither had the freedom nor the economy to build one.

I find it incredible that anyone can talk about the Spike in the Dike or any other "wastage" project costing the same as a SAR helicopter, and yet defend the purchase of completely useless fixed-wing training aircraft. They serve no practical purpose today, and anyone who even thinks about the math will quickly discover that it will be so long before we could afford "real" military planes in sufficient quantity to merit a wing of 8 trainers that one absolutely has to question the need for these trainers at this point in time.

They are not for defence, they are not for offence, and they cannot train anyone for offensive or defensive duty as we lack the appropriate "real" hardware. So why did our nation need them?

Short answer...it didnt.

The piliots in the Air Corps may have "needed" them to become trained in fixed-wing, prior to persuing a lucrative career in the public sector, but I'm afraid thats not my concern. Nor should it be the concern of the nation or its expenditure.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bonkey, re: the aircraft. They are needed to provide a certain level of inherent training ability within the Air Corps. Pilots cannot gradute direct from a simulator to a helicopter or multi-engined aircraft. What is needed is these trainers, plus more investment in other aircraft (another day's argument).

Originally posted by Victor
    Bonkey, re: the aircraft. They are needed to provide a certain level of inherent training ability within the Air Corps. Pilots cannot gradute direct from a simulator to a helicopter or multi-engined aircraft.

Who has set the requirement that helicopter pilots need to be qualified fixed-wing pilots first?

I know the FAA rules dont apply in Ireland, but they require absolutely no prior flight experience to become a fully-qualified helicopter pilot. An Irish Aviation Authority Private Helicopter License requires no flight experience other than in helicopters.

So why is it needed? Is it some requirement for non-private helicopter licenses only? Surely its not simply a requirement within the Air Corps?

jc

The usual procedure is to weed out pilots from non-pilots on cheaper fixed wing aircreft.

So it is just an Air Corps requirement then?

I'm also wondering how it can be cheaper. Surely all those helicopter schools would also follow the same model if it were, instead of telling you that no other flight experience is necessary.

I mean...you're saying that the damage which would be done to the helicopters in training would be more expensive than the cost of buying a wing of fixed-wing trainers. Surely not. Again - one would have to point to the business world and ask how (if its so risky and expensive) all these helicopter schools actually exist?

jc

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bonkey
    I mean...you're saying that the damage which would be done to the helicopters in training would be more expensive than the cost of buying a wing of fixed-wing trainers. Surely not. Again - one would have to point to the business world and ask how (if its so risky and expensive) all these helicopter schools actually exist?
    Stop trolling :p
    To buy a simple trainer aircraft is cheaper than a helicopter or a multi-engined aircraft. They are also cheaper (less fuel & maintainence) to operate on an hourly basis.

Advertisement