Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to Move and Work abroad

• 12-12-2002 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Hi I have made a decision that its time to to move away again I have lived in London for 3 years and in Oz for 1 year and now i want to Live in Europe , Swedan Denmark or Germany maybe

has anyone lived in these countries or have had experience of working in other countries and how hard is it to find and keep work

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good for you Guru, have the same idea, would love to get out of this rip of country but hard to know where to go to.

Would like to get a job in the UK but no joy with any agencies I have applied to.

I hear Amsterdam is cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

hey YOP ansterdam is great if you fancy coming home in a Body bag been there once it was mad .........I think I might hit Swedan or Denmark get a job in Irish bar (the Old realiable) until I get my feet on the ground Just for a year or so and them settle down again i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

do you guys get any advice from agencies or club's? or do you just pack up and leave and hope for the best?

I was thinking of leaving this island as its afair bit expensive for .......... well everything , but I dunno where to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

ahhh crap.. and so the emigration begins. :(

I's say its really hard to leave home? Never done it and hope I will never have to.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hmmm...I'm hoping to be outta here by Febuary..potential job in London coming up and if it does I'm gone!

Might as well get a head start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I've worked in Germany for short spells 1 - 3 months.It's a progessive country unlike our own.Things run on time.Stuff is cheaper.You can abuse alcohol until whatever time you want.You get paid alot more than Ireland.I've had sucess with planetrecreuit.com . Otherwise try monster.de and jobscout24.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Myself and my wife are considering Canada, once I finish my Masters.

Anybody worked/lived there? Any tips/info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 knockeiran

:D What part of Canada? masters in what? Age group? any kids? surely with a masters, you can pick and choose? are you working now, internatinal company? possible transfer, its exspensive on your tod, sell home, buy home, rent? Hell yes , come to Canada! Its worked for me.

Originally posted by knockeiran
    :D What part of Canada? masters in what? Age group? any kids? surely with a masters, you can pick and choose? are you working now, internatinal company? possible transfer, its exspensive on your tod, sell home, buy home, rent? Hell yes , come to Canada! Its worked for me.

Any part of Canada, preferably this side. Masters in computing,
    late twenties, no kids. Yes I am working now in a Large American Multinational.

When did you move? What's the employment like over there? I was looking at the Canadian immigration website, where they get you to do a survey to see if you would qualify for a visa, and I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 knockeiran

:D I am just outside Toronto, Lot of my neighbours in the computer industry, some self employed, contracts etc....... couple of .com millionaires. there is a bit of a boom on at the moment, 20, 000 short in construction, not to sure about Tech, if your young they need you. Whats the American company ? They might have a company in Canada, or is that where you got the idea? Well I have been here since 87, in construction, now self employed, no grandiose ideas, justmeself. The Wife, Dont laugh, is in Human resources, started her own company last year, like a lot of Canadians they tend to do their own thing, may not work out , but beats the corporate crap. When you have your visa, I beleive you have 1yr to use it , you could always get a temp visa , through your company, or if you get a job directly with a canadian company, some are more willing to handle the visa headache , plus the cost. Of course every things down to the medical, dont forget the missus. Check with the Embassy, jeez do they still have one in Dublin, i heard someone say you had to send of to the high commision in london. Put the feelers out, see whats goin on over here,....................good luck!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by knockeiran
    Check with the Embassy, jeez do they still have one in Dublin, i heard someone say you had to send of to the high commision in london. Put the feelers out, see whats goin on over here,....................good luck!

Yes, they have an embassy here, but you do have to apply to London.
    Put the feelers out, see whats goin on over here

That's what I'm doing!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if people have moved abroad, would any of you like to start a thread entitled 'moving to (insert place here)' and give a rough guide to what is needed and what hassles there are.
    its not that i want to stop discussion like this, just the opposite, but it would be nice to have some personal input here all the time so that people can read at their leisure.
    much in the same vain as the moving to england thread whcih i know a nuimber of people have benefited from.

useful info is like do you need a visa, where did you get it, how much, how long was the wait, travel plans, accomodation, where you would advise people to go, where you would advise them not to go, all that sort of good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have worked in Germany for a total of about 3 years, in Milan for 4 months and in Athens for 4 months (Limerick also for 11 months). I have a mate who emigrated to Toronto 2 years ago. He married a Canadian and works in the Computer industry. If you want any details drop me a pm.

PS - I work in the telecoms industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

Is it easy to get a work visa for Canada?
    Are there are good Canadian jobs websites on the net?

Try here

This is a good site by the Canadian government. If you fall under the Skilled Worker bracket, you could qaulify (I did). There is a survey there somewhere to see if you are suitable.

It also gives a list of Canadian job sites.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads - If you are applying for jobbies are you really better to be over there and applying or something, trying to get a response back from these flutes is painful, they never seem to get back at all.

any suggestions of what is the best approach as regards the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

As you probably well know, there are tons of Irish in the UK.The UK economy is doing well and has been improving for the last 10 years straight.Growth is forcast at 2-4.5% this year which is as good as ours.It always helps to be on the ground so try to organise alot of interviews over the period of a week and then get over there.Legally we can do almost anything the English can do (bank accounts etc...).

My problem is getting them to even contact me, never mind getting an interview!!! I am not been big headed but I have the experience needed for the jobs I am applying for so that is not the problem.

Has anyone lately got any contact from agencies as regards IT jobs in the UK and if so with which agencies

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

funnily enough i got my first job in the UK though an agency.
    it sucked, i hated it and i got sacked after 2 months.
    however, it did allow em to get my foot in the door and get myself a job that i liked.
    if you have no commitments and no need to be secure for your first few months, then theres no reason why you cant get a crap job and upgrade asap.
    otherwise, anyone i have known has found it hard to get a job, perticularly in the IT sector over the past year.

on the other hand, i think things are begining to turn around here and it wont be long before there are is an upturn in the amount of decent jobs going.

dont be fooled. its not a case of 'there are no jobs', its more a case of 'there are no jobs that i wnt to do'.

what you need to do get an agency to listen to is tell them that youa re moving, you havea date, and you want a job in that time frame. they have no interest in people who are uncertain in dates etc.
    also if you tell them that there is a good reason for to go over and to stay then all the better.
    i told thm i was engaged to an english girl and i was moving over to be with her. it reassures them that you are there for the long hall and are not going to bugger off after 2 months like some poxy student :)
    also, it depends on where you are looking and what type of role you are looking for too.

Advertisement