Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Recovery Disk

Options
  • 12-12-2002 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey,

I'm sick of having problems on my desktop Win2k, mostly with games etc. I got a recovery disk(cd-rom) with my laptop which has XP. Has anyone ever installed a recovery disk from one pc on another like this before. Obviously all the drivers will be wrong and the correct ones will have to be installed but apart from that did it work? Or do the disks normally check the pc setup to make sure it has the same specs of the pc it was intended to be used on.

Any info which may help would be cool.

Defrag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

you can install an oem installation of windows xp from one manufacturer to another
    its locked to the pc bios

and its also illegal

and win2k kills xp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I tried this recently and as soon as I tried to install from the recovery disk it told me that it was the wrong make/model of PC for the recovery disk.
    "A Friend" tells me the other possibility is...
    Copy the entire i386 folder from your laptop onto a cd.
    Format your PC hard drive keeping it FAT32 (obviously back up anything you need to keep from the drive you are installing to)
    Start your PC with CD ROM support.
    Navigate to your CD drive and the i386 directory.
    Type winnt.
    Sit back and let the installation commence.
    It may come up with prompts to say that various files could not be copied, in my friends case these were oddball bitmaps and skins for media player, ignore and proceed. During the installation it may prompt you again that some of these files could not be found in the installation folder, you can browse to the cd and install them from there.
    Your next problem will be the infamous product activation which will disable XP after 30 days if not completed. You may be as lucky as my friend whose laptop was obviously factory activated in bulk, in which case you can activate using the product code from your laptop XP installation.
    Not that I or my friend advocate software piracy in any make shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

man if theres too many differences in the hardware configuration you have to reactive the xp installation with msft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 defrag

Okay you've convinced me. It's not worth the bother. (Oh, and it wouldnt be fair to all those nice guys like gates and ballmer if I used their software illegaly. Heaven forbid.)

Thanks.

Advertisement