Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 Or Windows XP

Options
  • 12-12-2002 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

What do you use.
    I want real statistics on this so
    one vote per id people.

I think win2k kicks xp ass on a number of levels.
    I wanna see what the bulk of ye think

Windows 2000 Or Windows XP ? Which Do You Use 45 votes

Windows 2000
    0% 0 votes
    Windows XP
    100% 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Xp can be slighlty bloaty, but if you take off all the crap, its the best OS out there for games/multimedia etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Microsoft has acknowledged Windows 2000 with Service pack as it's best OS yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

XP's incredibly stable! More so than 2000

I've used both operating systems from the time they were released and xp hasn't crashed on me once unlike 2000, it has a more stable feel also and if you don't like the bulk packaging, remove it! I didn't like the look but I've sorted that out, it now looks like windows 3.11 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Service pack 2

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Service pack 2

Na, SP 3 is out now. Go with the latest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jim_rebels

I use Win2K Pro and Server and when I lived in the Capital (not the real one mind you) I was involved in an XP roll out in a certain company in Sandyford and didn't think the modifications from 2000 to XP were anything spectacular and I hate the new GUI.
    IMHO Win2k is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

XP!! Turn off the eye candy and you have a more stable version of windows 2000 with more support for the latest hardware etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Microsoft has acknowledged Windows 2000 with Service pack as it's best OS yet.

url please?

ya i was on win2k beta program..
    it went through many stages but :-)
    since rc1 came out ..
    it showed all the signs of a quality product..

turned out that way too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've only ever used XP on other people's computers in here, and once for a full installation, however I dislike using it intensely. I suppose it's because I'm a power user, but I find the GUI just short of offensive.

Looking at buying a new rig shortly, the first thing I'll do is wipe XP and install Win2K. And good riddance.

adam

XP!! Turn off the eye candy and you have a more stable version of windows 2000 with more support for the latest hardware etc...

tell me ur gonna use a generic driver
    compared to the newest build of a driver release from the
    actual manufacturer of a product?

example.head of nvidia driver development said, that after a period of 6-9 months when a card has been out,if the original driver was stable..
    they then go tweaking the driver,enabling features that enable hardware to perform 20% better.

i know xp shipped with a 13,000 driver library but
    it had to didnt it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh of course! I was not reffering to video/sound drivers... I was talking about built in support for latest hardware like card readers, firewire, Digital Cameras etc.. Dont even neet drivers for a lot of these on the market if you just want to use the basic features... 2000 may have some support too but not to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

2000 professional is the best home OS out there IMO.

Eh of course! I was not reffering to video/sound drivers... I was talking about built in support for latest hardware like card readers, firewire, Digital Cameras etc.. Dont even neet drivers for a lot of these on the market if you just want to use the basic features... 2000 may have some support too but not to the same extent.

Still its only common sense to download the latest drivers for the usb device..
    and 99% of these devices come with driver from manufacturer

silly argument really :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I find that as long as the computer is relativly new, and all the components are 100% XP compatible, and with SP1, XP is is superior to 2000. But then again, I like all the eye candy. I use Win2000 in work and it does crash from time to time when heavy laden...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Windows 2000 sp2 all the way. By far miles better than XP and all its little issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a real reason why 2K is better than XP. Note to llamas: the fact that it 'looks funny' is not a proper reason.

Windows 2000 WAS the best O/S Microsoft had until they upgraded it, bolted extra features onto it, made it look prettier, made the visual style customisable, improved the multimedia features, integrated .NET functionality and called the result Windows XP Professional SP1

Extra Features?
    Device Driver Rollback
    Side By Side Dll Support
    System Restore

There failsafes not features

made it look prettier?

sure not bad considering they bought the dominant share in stardock technologies who invented window blinds..
    but they messed it completely as you need a 500 -600mhz processor to rendor anything in real time
    The luna interface is a resource hog and thats why i hate it.

Made the visual style customisable?
    sorry that came with the original window blinds technology too.

integrated .Net functionality?
    nope wrong there too
    its an addon library thats available for all versions of
    Windows from 95- to ce
    And its a 20 meg seperate download

there both the same architecture, dont get me wrong there..
    its the core modules , win2k starts with standards 16 services, xp 35,
    modules that arent required
    that add to the XP bulk onto of wizards etcc

And techie users dont want wizards and ****..

at the end of the day the operating system should be as transparent to the end user as possible,using as little footprint (take note windows xp) as possible, providing a stable platform for all uses, development,gaming etc..

Windows 2000 delivers on this.

Im a big fan of systems development and i understand they are the same architecture, same driver model , etc..
    but its the extra stuff thats in xp that isnt needed !

what u like sico, 2k or xp ? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Using XP Professional on a Toshiba laptop and so far its the best MS OS I've ever used

very stable compared to ME anyway, which I'm still using on my desktop - now there is an absolute LEMON of an OS (getting a new pc next year so not too bothered about upgrading)

man there was a poll on here 3 months ago or so..
    which was the worst msft os..
    windows me won by 90% or something :-)

man me was a disaster :-(

I feel SO sorry for ppl who had bought a pc between june 2000
    and october 2001 with windows me from the OEM on it.
    it was "standard" windows consumer market os then

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I've no huge experience with XP just yet but shallow and all as it shows me to be the "eye candy" is very nasty. Yes it can be turned off but it's so bad that it really should be turned off by default in the professional edition. Particularily annoying was th elittle karateka icon it wanted to associate with my administrator account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Win2k on desktop, XP on laptop (actually it's treble-booting with XP, 98 and RH8)

I'm tempted to switch the two though - it's an oldish laptop (laptop has 384 megs of RAM but the 8 meg graphics card is what's slowing the thing down when XP xomes into play). Meanwhile on the desktop, that fast user switching might be nice for when I leave the PC on all night and herself wants to browse the web and type a few essays - it would be quite nice for her to be able to switch to her own profile without logging me off the Net or whatever useful things I might have running (desktop is also only a P3-500 but has a nicer graphics card).

And yeah, ME was a pile of crap.

And yeah, ME was a pile of crap.

sometimes running ME felt as if MS was sabotaging your PC

if you are really into pain I recommend ME on a Gateway PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'll admit to being turned off by the "Big Brother" horror stories about product activation when XP came out first. In fact I even went Linux for a wee while to try that, but it was soo much work to get something as simple as a printer set up that I've recently reclaimed the space my Linux partition took up and handed it back to uncle Bill.
    I was relatively happy with W98 until I got my laptop which came with XP Pro and W2K Pro. I tried both and found XP much more intuitive and less prone to lock ups. Now I've got XP on desktop and laptop and I'm as happy as a puppy with two peckers.
    I still don't much like MS as a company but if they offer a good product I'm not going to spite myself by snubbing it.
    It may be a bit power hungry but whenever a new OS comes out there are going to be people who haven't got the resources to use it. PC gamers don't waste their time moaning that UT2003 won't run on their 486 with onboard graphics and 8MB of ram. If they want to play it they upgrade, if they don't they keep their PC and carry on with Solitaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should have XP Pro and XP Home in the poll.

Home is cack ,Pro to me is 2000 with hardware and software support.

best Os yet imo.

(67 Win updates and 1 sp later )

kdjaC

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Everyone i know who's used XP has had problems with it, some initially, some after a few months. I've had win2k installed for 769 days, without any problems whatsoever (98 installed too for the old DOS games). Changed 98 for Xp about a year ago, various buggy problems (for me...), so i got rid of it and reinstalled 98.

2k is far better...

Everyone i know who's used XP has had problems with it, some initially, some after a few months. I've had win2k installed for 769 days, without any problems whatsoever (98 installed too for the old DOS games). Changed 98 for Xp about a year ago, various buggy problems (for me...), so i got rid of it and reinstalled 98.

agree with you 100%

Im thinking that people who are back in xp here never really went into 2000 capabilities.

same windows 2000 installation here for nearly a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

XP Pro on PC's
    Win98 on laptop (due to the fact it needs a BIOS update to support Win2k or XP :\)

Used Win2k for a few months before I had XP, both excellent tbh, but I'll go with XP 'cos I can't remember it screwing up once, even on my Celeron333Mhz machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

its interesting if you go into System Properties on XP and change the Visual Effects properties to "Adjust fo best performance" you get something that looks & behaves much the same as w2k

unfortunately that does nothing about those horrible plastic-looking icons!

Advertisement