Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 Or Windows XP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

2k pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my story, computer originally came with ME, which crashed lots but i don't see why it was the worst os what was different from 98?

upgraded to 2kpro however found for some reason it really slowed my computer down, especially notable in the boot-up time, switched xp pro about 6 months ago and am very happy with it and was looking forward to getting it, i like the look of it and retain most of the interface that came with it.

i also think the xp pro is the most stable yet, personally it has never crashed for me, however i left the mother playing solitaire on it one night and got called out of bed to find the blue screen of death to this day i have no idea what she did to it :)

as regards to everyone at least one problem with xp thats to be expected with a new o/s i bet when 2k came out everyone has at least one problem with it don't think its much of an issue though theres usually a small download to fix it.

so basically xp pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

Well im running Win2K pro on 3 of my desktops. Love it to be honest, never crashed, something win98SE used to do alot of. recently bought a laptop with XP on it. Deceided to try it out and give it a fair go.

First copied over some Emulators for it, which i might add work perfectly on Win2K on all service packs. Only MAME would work for me. So tried Hitman - no joy. Gave up after that, fresh install of Win2K , bloody battery lasts longer now, and all the emulators work, and of course hitman too!

I'll admit i liked the colour usage on XP, and the backrounds, but these are only simple things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by daveirl
    I think XP is the business. The fact is that it has everything Win2K has and then some.

People keep going on about the supposedly bad eye candy. Well change it. Personally I use StyleXP url]http://www.tgtsoft.com/[/url to customize how my PC looks and it's fantastic.

I've had XP running a whole year know and haven't had the OS crash even once.

agreed... apart from the crashing part... a certain freeware open source app crashed it once, that was all - BSOD, memory dump, reboot - back to normal (same app did the same thing on 2K so I'm not bothered - bad memory management in the app). Apart from that, it's run faster and more efficiently for me than any previous O/S, booting up and shutting down in double quick time and just generally functioning in a more streamlined and friendly way. Like I said when I first started playing with XP ... "Ah, Microsoft finally got it right!" ... as far as MS are concerned right now, it's top of the range (well... top of the 'released to the public' range ;) )

As for StyleXP ... YES ! Lovely little program! My Windows XP now looks like OSX (I even nabbed that little ObjectDock program from Stardock to top it off ;) ... don't use it much though). You'd be surprised how much easier on the eyes an OSX look is, especially if, like me, you have fairly sensitive eyes.

To be honest, I don't see the point in plumping for Windows 2000 over XP on a new machine - especially if the reason given is that it's been out longer and so is more "tried and tested". XP is 2000 with a bunch of updates, extra features, bug fixes, extra and more up-to-date drivers and visual bells and whistles. ... Oh, and the bells and whistles can be disabled, of course.

Then again, I tend not to just stick with the one O/S... because I tend not to just stick with the one machine. At the moment, I use a customised Win XP SP1 on a laptop, Win 2000 Pro on a home PC and Mac OSX Jaguar on an iMac. The iMac is for work - the other two are for both work and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭halkar

Once I opened side of my camcorder,
    It had a Ilink firewire connection,
    I thought me get a cable to stick in there,
    And I did ,
    Stick the other end to the computer,
    Computer did some wizardy things,
    And all finished ,
    Asked me if I want to open the Movie Maker,
    I said "h@lly Sh!t" !! :D

XP rocks, if you have new hardware XP is best. I have just build a computer without using a single disk provided by the manufacturers and everything I have used with Usb and Firewire works great. I think M$ got it right after all :D
    Running XP in work from the day it arrived no crashes and no nasty suprises :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I've been using XP since one of the later pre-releases, I admin 62 XP machines and I've never had a major problem with the OS. I've never had major problems with 2000 either, but I prefer XP because I see it as 2K with extras (the unwanted of which can easily be disabled).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Windows 2000 is much better. When I upgraded my computer from windows 98 to XP I had the problem that I lost all my drivers. Thank bit of god I have them all on Cd and backed up on another CD. I still have problems with XP.

When i done this procedure with Win 98 to 2000 I had no problems and my friend doesn't seem to have any problems (except that time he deleted the display drivers. got those back in 2 minutes)

I would do anything to go to 2000 but unfortunatly it wont un istall for me. can't even format the bloody thing. Bah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

of course u can format it ..
    whats the exact prob
    u can format any disk

Ah yea I know slight problem though. Can't remember what it is though. haven't used my home computer in bout 3 months.

Ah well. A nice magnet will do the trick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

i know the prob u are talking about
    xp locks out mbr..

get partition magic or whatever app
    full format of file system
    and write a new file system full format
    and start clean install of 2k
    bingo

• Advertisement

huh how do you know the problem if i didn't explain the problem :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Perhaps a differentiation between XP-home and XP-Pro would help more...

XP-Pro is a real contender to 2000
    XP-home is **** and only serves to be good for multimedia

Either way i prefare 2000. Secure and reliable...

BUt mostly I use Debian.... feck Microwhores

i've had no problems formatting my hard drive when windows xp was installed, leave the windows cd in your cd drive, it will be detected when the computer boots and then you can format from there and then install any operating system you want. also upgrading from 98 to xp you should have had all the xp drivers ready or at least your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

IO've been running 2k for the last 18 months.
    I am very pleased with it.
    Any time i've ever tried to do anything with XP it's been nothing but an obstacle in my way, from configuring network settings to just browsing the hard drive.
    Whatever about the underlying OS in XP Pro (home isn't a contender for anything tbh. Marginally above ME), the GUI is a shambles.
    I shouldn't have to turn off anything to simply be able to use the machine.
    2k does the business for me, I'm very happy with it, just reformatted this christmas after about 13 months of one install, and only really did that cos I b0rked a driver install recently and couldn't be arsed sorting throgh the mess of crap I'd downloaded over the time.
    I had Mandrake 8.2 on the drive too, that was ok, but I'm going throwing Debian 3 onto it as soon as I get the discs off a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Windows 2k is number 1 due to the fact that its more likely to have most peripherals work with it and have better support from most hardware vedors also software tends to run that little bit better than xp pro.

Windows xp pro is pretty good (very stable) and in the near future will become number 1 but it's just not there yet.

Windows xp home... just burn it -- burn it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Just wondering,

Is it possible to download Win2000 service packs as a single file eg zip or cab file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

bit off topic but whats everybodies big hang up with xp home, i think its the best "home" o/s that ms have ever thrown out, better then all the 9x's and ME (wouldn't be difficult). i also think the similarities with home to pro was a good idea and that a causal user would have no problems using a computer with pro after running home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by daveirl
    They think it makes them sound like they're really shit hot with PCs, that's why they bash it. They bash XP in general not just XP Home.

I seem to recall people saying the same thing about Win95 when it first came out.

XP is a great OS if you've got the hardware to support it well. The same could obviously not have been said about WinME which added very little to anyone's Windows experience

The merging of the code base is a great step forward - there will evetually be no need to keep dual-booting between an NT OS and a 9x OS just so you can have stability and also run the latest games. Bashing XP Home doesn't make much sense - there isn't a long list of things that can be done using XP Pro that can't be done using XP Home. Joining a domain is an obvious one but there are relatively simple ways around that, it turns out.

I'd limit specific XP bashing to the Media Center version but that's also filling a specific niche in the market, will run all XP apps that run on other varieties so where's the problem there?

Dislike of the eye candy is fair enough (though see comment about win95 above - it was the main reason some people didn't likt 95 when it came out). Easy to change it/turn it off. Not a problem. I don't like the new Start Menu (at least not yet). I've turned it off. Easy peasy. I like XP. To each his own though, I suppose.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Windows XP.

I only ever use Win2k in school and I've no complaints, I just prefer XP. :)

Advertisement