Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem question

• 12-12-2002 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

a friend of mine has pc and they had to reinstall windows but they couldnt find the driver for the 56k modem and they dont know what make it is
    is there a way i could find out what make and model it is so i could download the driver for them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Take it out of the machine and have a look at the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

or you could try a standerd driver for a 56k modem that comes with windows

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

take it out, the only way, not unless that they have a dell., then get the service tag, go to the support website and you can get all drivers there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

First thing you should do is take it out and look for a brand name and model number on the front of the card.

Next, look for something that says "FCC ID: xxx-xxxxxx" written on the card. Then search http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/ for the number (bit before the "-" is the "grantee code" - the bit after it is the "equipment product code".

Finally, if you can't find anything there, look at the numbers of the chips on the modem card and search google for them - you might find out what it is and get generic drivers.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ok thanks for the ideas guys im also going to use a program to scan the pci bus this should give me the bios info for the card which will help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Take out the modem and have a look ate the chip on it, it should have a chip manufacturers name on it e.g. Lucent or Rockwell then go to www.modemdrivers.com and search for the chip number.
    Hasn't failed me yet

21/25

Advertisement