Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win 2000

• 12-12-2002 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

ok me ma got a laptop from work, its got win 2000 on it an after startup she has to put in username an pass..
    she wants it to boot straight into win with out password but it says you need the admin password to change any of the user settings.. in work they know nothing bout it so me is askin yews, can something be done..? regedit or something..
    Peace Kas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I could be and more than likely am wrong here but I think theres something in the local policy settings that allow you to do that...

I know it allows you to bypass the need to press ctrl, alt & delete anyway... dunno about completely bypassing the need to login.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

This can be done using regedit or even (so I'm told) tweakui but you need to be the local administrator to use these. AFAIK there is no (easy) way around this. I'd suggest asking her local IT people to look into this but with most companies autologon would be regarded as a huge security breach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice password cracker would do the job

Chances are that the admin has put the same local admin password that they've set for their network account though so they'll probably nay help you at all.

Is it really that much of a problem to type a login and password every startup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

u can set it to 'assume user is [username]' but u need admin powArs to do it.

n btw work laptops, although u may use it n pritty much do what u will with it, its still company equipment and subject to certain conditions ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Try the old default login of Administrator/admin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh is there not an option in 2k to automatically log on and not ask to log on? Its in users in control panel i think.. a tick box where it says something like "Users must type password to log on" or something along those lines.. anyway untick it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

quote : Eh is there not an option in 2k to automatically log on and not ask to log on? Its in users in control panel i think.. a tick box where it says something like "Users must type password to log on" or something along those lines.. anyway untick it..

....there is indeed but you still need to be admin on the machine to do it. Autologon is a huge security breach for a work laptop and anyway, it wouldget f**ked up when she changed her password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

L0phtcrack 4
    Its your only man ,If you can install it

Advertisement