Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I connect two PC's ?

Options
  • 13-12-2002 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Folks ,
    Can anyone help me ? I want to connect my Compaq PC to a Dell PC that I got for nothing but is bare bones and am wondering how difficult it is to connect the two and transfer files from one to the other ?

Any comments greatly appreciated !!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

4 option here.

1. Serial Connection - Slower than a granny on valium, not good
    2. Parallel Connecton - Faster, but will seriously rape the cpu on both machines. the actual speed aint that good either, 4Gb in 7 hours was the speed i got.
    3. Network Em - Get 2 NICs and some crossover cable and network the two computers. Its as easy as falling off a greased monkey on a tightrope.
    4. The Interweb - we dont want to do that costs lots and we dont want to give eircom any money do we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

The serial cable option was what had been mentioned to me by friends , is it really that bloody slow ?

Any idea what kind of serial cable I need ?

Thanks for your words of wisdom !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

take the HDD out of the one and put it in the other!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you're doing it on a regular basis, then invest in the two NICs and a crossover cable. If it's only very occasional transfer, then you won't be too worried about speed so go with either the parallel (recommended) or serial. You may not save very much, though as NICs are very cheap these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by tinofapples
    The serial cable option was what had been mentioned to me by friends , is it really that bloody slow ?

Any idea what kind of serial cable I need ?

These used to be called 'laplink' cables after the file transfer program of the same name. If the guy in the shop is a bit older than usual he will know what you mean. Otherwise just ask for a serial or parallel cable suitable for data transfer between two pcs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

dont use the serial cabel waaaay too slow. just get a double male parallel cable(the same end as the one you stick into your computers printer port and not the end that goes into the printer itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Cheers Lads !!

Advertisement