Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam on old tinet.ie address

Options
  • 13-12-2002 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

I am getting a bag load of spam. 99% is coming through my old tinet.ie address.
    I no longer use it but use the eircom.net version but all tinet stuff is redirected to the eircom address.
    I rang eircom support and they said that there is no way that they can turn off the tinet a/c. When they changed to eircom.net they said that the tinet address would be closed down in two years. That must be 3 or 4 years ago, mabye longer.

Is anyone else having this problem and is there anyone here that can shed some light on eircom's assertion that they can't cancel the tinet side of things

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Valentia
    Is anyone else having this problem and is there anyone here that can shed some light on eircom's assertion that they can't cancel the tinet side of things
    Not an expert in these matters, but it sounds to me like b****x. What they probably mean is that they have no procedures in place to handle the request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

why don't you set up a message rule to delete any mail that is sent to the tinet.ie address from the server, this way you will not get any of the spam sent to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Good thinkin' Santa,

Will do that but I hete letting the B***ards off the hook.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

it is the same mailbx-there is no redirect in place, if you know what I mean

I do indeed.
    It's amazing how many people are still using the old tinet address. I've seen headed paper for "enlightened" organisations like County Councils still using it.

We're in safe hands bejay:rolleyes:

Wouldn't is be great if Eircom closed all these addresses. It might just wake up a few organisations and stop them thinking that the whole thing is some sort of magic.

• Advertisement

I think it would have to be done for everyone
    in other words (in simple terms) if email arrives for someuser@eircom.net or someuser@tinet.ie deliver to someuser mailbox would have to be changed to if email arrives for someuser@eircom.net deliver to someuser mailbox ...

B the hokey. It's 6am approx. Just after the ol' christmas party and it'll take me a few hours to figure that one out.

But I know what you mean. I don't get genuine mail from anyone on tinet anymore so thats no problem.

Didn't I do well typing that now!! As drunk as a skunk.

Hick back at ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Santa's suggestion is probably the best for now (or for the forseeable future if Eircom can't/won't do anything about it).

90% of my spam comes in on an @innocent.com address I used for years until I stopped forwarding mail from it to my Yahoo account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I had the exact same problem. E-mailed them on a few occassions and they never even reponded, as if I thought they would! In the end just set up a rule to send all tinet.ie to the trash can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They're saying one thing but meaning another. It's possible to catch an email address before it hits the catch-all redirect on every MTA that I know of. They just won't do it because if they do it for you, they have to do it for neah and blah and uh. I don't blame them for not doing it, but they could at least tell the truth. That's not to say I'm surprised, obviously...

adam

• Advertisement

I have done as the doctor ordered and all the spots have dissapeared:D

Originally posted by dahamsta
    It's possible to catch an email address before it hits the catch-all redirect on every MTA that I know of. They just won't do it because if they do it for you, they have to do it for neah and blah and uh. I don't blame them for not doing it, but they could at least tell the truth.
    adam
    Sure, eircomnets noc could do it..just more tickets for them to do, and I guess they are not exactly overstaffed in that dept these days

Advertisement