Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UT - First Impressions

Options
  • 16-12-1999 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

After a week spent playing UT, offline in fact, as online was unplayable for some reason, probably my crap PC although in single player mode it plays very well, its def good fun, but i can't see it being a big Team DM sort of game and the levels in general, a bit disappointing.

CTF, some well strange little closed in levels. even the "big" levels like Lava Giant force you to use narrow ledges between the bases, rather than a decent midfield area to fight for control of. Not that the actual gameplay is poor, it isn't, its very enjoyable, I just wonder is this something relating to the game engine that forced them to create this type of level.

Domination is fun, but again, some of the levels are v badly thought out, surely the Dom levels could be themed in some way so the points you control have some meaning or advantage? Lets dominate this little corner area beside a corridor type efforts do nothing for me, the placing of the objectives completely mystify me at times. Why not have the maps designed around the 3 objectives? It seems as if the objectives were just frigged in after the map was completed, having said that, I've only played through the first 4 or 5 Dom maps, the Dom map in the UT Demo was probably better in this respect than any i've played in the full game.

Assault, this is great fun, but......, for organised team games, ouch I don't fancy most of these levels against an organised defense with proper communication between them. How are you gonna get up the beach, or onto that warship with an organized defense arrayed against you? A couple of LPB snipers in the bunkers on overlord and the attackers will be lucky to get onto dry land.

This sounds like I'm slagging UT, well, I am and I'm not, I've been playing it constantly since I got it, and the DOM/CTF/Assault games are very very enjoyable. The FFA end of things just hasn't done anything for me yet. Too many weapons with multiple fire modes seems to be the problem with it.

Anyways, a much more powerful PC is on the way this weekend smile.gif, UT will be given the once over online, as will Q3a. Having seen the 3wave CTF maps this morning, I think UT might not provide such a strong challenge as everyone predicted.

Advertisement