Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phundraiser. oh, mercy.

Options
  • 13-12-2002 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

where to begin? well my head sure hurts a lot. owchers. last night's phundraising antics were quite the fun. quite the weird also, but fun nonetheless.

i thought the bands were pretty crap... with the exception of the crayonz, who i thought were really quite refreshing. i really paid attention to blotooth, who disappointed, and i'm not a fan of babelfish full stop. they were as expected. during wilts set i wandered about talking to strangers. one such person being rob taylor, who *is* very pretty. thanks for the tip, simon! although i think i scared him, as he ran away. sigh.

phantasm afterwards was weird. i think it was the annual convention of both sleazy guys and terrible chat up lines. some guy said to me "ive been watching you all night. i knew that if i stared hard enough, you'd come over here to talk to me. and here you are." (note: this was when i marched over to tell him to stop fvcking staring at me!) what a weirdo. another guy thought that by telling me about his toenails he'd make me swoon. odd.

anyway. verdict. a good night in all, but the atmosphere was weird. the people were weird. everything was just... weird. i did get to meet the lovely mick from polar though, though he still won't agree to marry me. aye.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

thats cos mick is already my wife/bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

holy god... i was rubber last night

got very sick... it was gaaaas!

when we were walkin into whelans i was saying to gav "tonight i'm gonna be sick" and hey presto i was...legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

I was lying on my couch preparing to hack up dense swathes of vile chunkage and WILT came on ITV a the festivals.

What is this? Where am i? Am is still in Whelans? How tall is that singer SEAL? Do i have any Canadian cousins?

Slumber...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

The sound in whelan's was very poor last night..... the vocals were SO low in the mix.

Crayonz were okay, Blotooth suffered alot with the sound but were fab (man I'd love to here them *properly*), Babelfish were so-so and Wilt were just brilliant.

Actually how on earth were babelfish higher up the bill than blotooth?

I'll agree with berreta that the atmos was..... odd....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well, i'd like to say that all the dick heads shouting durring bablefish should be shot. that really, really pissed me off....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maxmara

have to agree ...didn't think much of the live acts or maybe it was just the sound/crowd?/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

hmm, mixed reviews.

well, i didnt make it last night.
    i was gonna try to get in early and stay till 10 and then go to another certain Xmas party. *ahem*

but i gots delayed, didnt get in early enough. ah well.
    had a good night anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What is with the chatter at every gig now-a-days? Every gig I go the "chatter" levels are getting higher and higher. Last night I could hear people even starting to shout to one another as the bands set got louder. Why whinge about MCD and ticket prices when really all you want is a good natter? Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Sorry Brian, I can't hear you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

It all sounded pretty rockin from where I was - which was out the Naas Road actually - I was attending by telephone link-up due to unavoidable work-type commitments... Babelfish came across the best - I think Blotooth were a little loud...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

All the bands were brill.

The amount of people talking over the bands was obscene! Why pay in the venue? go to the front bar!

I missed the crayonz but heard they were great.

Blotooth were brilliant and sounded enormous, though I do agree they were a bit muffled or something. I would have liked to have heard more vocals in the front of house.

I always thought Babelfish were great live, but I have to say I dont think thay enjoyed themselves (singer looked like she had wasps in her ears) (sound fault again) and it came across to the 'arseholes' in the audience who then had an excuse to take up conversation with each other at the top of their lungs!

after Babelfish, Wilt as always did'nt dissapoint. Very tight and very familier songs so everyone lent their ears (from respect, which I wish great sounding, lesser known bands did'nt have to work so hard for) and the atmosphere reached normality again.

Woth every cent though.

and oh yea, Berreta...... at heart, are you an angry person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

angry at heart? heh. i love these half-accusations. i get the feelings you're gonna tell me whether i am or not, so i lie back and wait.

(oh, and it's spelt b-e-r-e-t-t-a.)

no, no. Berratta, I don’t want to accuse you. I just wanted to tell you a story my granny once told me when she was drunk. Though I’m replacing the words ' s h i t e music’ with ‘Babelfish’ (*Calming music fills the air)

*There was a boy.(or girl, nobody really knew) called Bereta who didn’t like Babelfish. One day his.(or her, still no-one knew) father gave him a bag of nails and a hammer.
    "Hammer a nail into the fence every time you take a disliking to Babelfish, soon there will be peace for you." he said.
    So every time he.(or her, difficult for the family by now) heard Babelfish on Phantom and felt queasy, Berrate would go out into the garden and hammer a nail into the wooden fence. This made him/her acutely conscious of his/her distaste and he began to make attempts to control it. Baretta found himself.(settled for some time with male) putting fewer and fewer nails into the fence with each passing day and one evening he realised that he did not have to go to the fence or feel the need to vomit even once.
    The next morning Bearetta gave the nails and the hammer back to his father, telling him he did not need them any more as he had learnt to control his dislike for Babelfish.
    "Very good," said his father. "Now pull out all the nails from the fence."
    Barette spent the greater part of the morning pulling out the nails, but finally he had accomplished his task. He gave the nails to his father.
    "So many!" said the daddy. "Come let us see what they have done to the fence."
    Together they examined the holes left by the nails in the fence.
    "Your dislike for that band may die down," said the man to his son.(so he thought). "But the harm it has done doesn’t go so easily. It remains like these holes."
    It was a lesson Barrata never forgot. His tendency to dislike Babelfish and their kind of music was not easily tamed, but eventually he developed a tolerant and peaceable disposition.(Later, much later, Barretta told his family that he was infact a unic)

Rite!! I'm off for a saturday afternoon ****.

http://slate.msn.com/ You know you love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by beretta
    . some guy said to me "ive been watching you all night. i knew that if i stared hard enough, you'd come over here to talk to me. and here you are."

You can't argue with results.
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

i guess i kind of agree with a lot of the above.

But you can't fault Babelfish .. I thought they were really great .. of all the bands, they made best use of the not-so-great-sound on the night ..
    and I'm a big fan of Blotooth, though the vocals were criminally low .. and I couldnt hear his 12-string for a lot of the set .. still, the songs came across real well.
    the crayonz, though, I wasnt sold on .. the songs just seemed to lack a bit of .. something. Not on the same level as the other 3 bands.

back to front...

that was a damnlovely story

i'm pissed but i enjoyed that story

why am i here??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Must have been Wilts sound whore doing all the sound coz all the other bands sounded like a pet shop burning down until Battle and crew came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

that was a great post back to front.....are you in the band????? purposely misspelling beretta every time....hmmmmm

anyway, i didnt go, id love to know what mick was doing ni the toilets (sounds dodgy) with the support group

and also mick, i bet my vomit on friday night rivalled yours on thursday....i was lying down in bed, and i projectile vomiited and i hit a spot 10 feet away on the wall....(and as an added bonus i was too pissed to clean it up)

well i love bablefish and blotooth, but the fact that the vocals for blotooth were not great at all and poor bablefish were drowned by ignorant ass holes talking, it really but a bit of a damper on the night... still all in all i had a pretty good time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

the only things worse than people talking during songs is people shushing them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

No the worst thing is somebody who doesnt know the words to songs but insists on bellowing out the tune in a kind of a wail right into your ear. Happens to me a lot... :rolleyes:

In fairness. With an 85% of the audience there to see the 3 RAAAAWWWK bands, poor babelfish were like a mosh interlude. I'd dare any quiet artists to fill in the Gap between blotooth and Wilt. Imagine...even Damien Rice with all his magical (pin drops - shhhh) powers would have found it hard.

thanks back to front i like people that back up my points and by the way drowner, try posting in topics were people accually care what you have to say...... i'm sure there's a thread some were on the website that your yet to infect with your random bull s**t.

keep looking

in fairness tyrrial that s abit fúckin harsh

and drowners post was perfectly on topic, so it aint random in any way shape or form

.......i guess after reading over what i said, i was a bit of a harsh prat to say that.
    oops, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blinker

only caught the last 10 minutes of the first band crayonz but thought they rocked - blotooth and bablefish deserve to be talked over as they were lame -

wilt rocked! people talk over crap bands and should not be critisised for it. the bands should be better. I would have changed the running order on the night to blotooth, bablefish, crayonz and wilt or swaped the two lame bands for two more rock bands.

ok....
    after the stupid thing i said to poor drowner (sorry) i decided that i won't let my rage type my meaages but the last post!... the more rage the better!

blinker what the hell makes you think that because YOU don't like a band means they should be talked over.... of course your completly within your own rights to dislike a band, to be such an ignorant cow and proclaim that a band unworthy of your praise should be treated with such disrespect makes me sick! in fact i dislike wilt.... so much so that i left the gig early to avoid them. i didn't stand at front shouting about how crap they are. and i respect their talent and fans so please let people with different/better music tasts be able to hear what they paid for....

i'm really glad i got that out of my system....
    i should stop being such a prat.....at some point later in my life but untill then i shall defend my posts..

excuse me! People don't talk over real talent.

everyone talked over bablefish because they were booring.

blotooth are like a bad covers band.

Wilt and crayonz would not change my life but they have some rocking tunes and kept the majority of the crowds attention.
    They were playing real live music where as bablefish had a lot of their sound on laptop and blotooth even have backing vocals on tape. I saw them before and the vocals are even going when nobody is near a mic. not far off a boy band if you ask me.
    laptops and backing tracks - I would rather see someone with just an acoustic guitar. bablefish have about six of them on stage and still they need a computer to play live. sad

Some people will always talk at gigs but regardless of the style of music real talent can keep the attention of the majority of the audience.

I think your missing my point,
    i'm a big fan of bablefish and blotooth, i know they didn't play to best of there abiltiy and i also know that not everyone likes there stuff.
    but if phantom has a point it is to play song that because of the "majority" are songs that aren't payed on radio, so if your are of the oppinion that a band is great due to there popularlity among the masses then i think you've lost the spirit of what phantom stads for. i really don't care what you THOUGHT of how the bands played and why they were crap, but please remember that the majority of people will rather brity spears to what ever the hell you like....

• Advertisement

pity you couldn't spell check you own post also.

you don't get the point at all.

I am not talking about the majority of the audience knowing the bands songs but the ability of the artists to capture and keep the attention of the audience.

I had only ever seen blotooth once and had never seen any of the other three bands before.

I am just comenting on what I nothiced. the audience was not interested in nor entertained by the second or third bands. I only caught the end of the first band and perhaps it was the same for the start of their performance. When I walked in the majority of the crowd were not talking but watching the stage and that was a really good sign. It was not until wilt came on that the audience attention was the same - well much better in fact.

It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement