Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Football

• 13-12-2002 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Lets see who the people think will have Sam in the bag by next September!
    I'm going to go for Tyrone, under par last year, they will have learned from that, and they appear to now have the perfect blend of youth and experience!
    Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

DUBLIN DUBLIN DUBLIN

the dubs are clearly the choice for next years Sam McGuire.
    They have the best manager, developing forwards , Fantastic midfielders, rock solid defence and without doubt the best keeper in the game.

They should be no discusion on who will will it..but just exactly how the dubs will win it !

C'mon the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

come on Derry....

lucky last year

Oh Jonny the Fox..your name should be Jonny the mentalist...
    Derry...indeed..they wont get out of ulster this year..Cavan, Donegal, Tyrone and the Bards form Armagh...feck, London have a good chance this year ....ahahahahah

:D:D:D

GOOD MAN TOMMY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Lyons says no to Gallagher

Tommy Lyons has turned down the opportunity to draft Rory Gallagher into the Dublin panel.

The former Fermanagh ace, who practically beat Monaghan on his own in the Ulster championship this year by scoring 3-9, has quit his native county and joined St. Brigid's in Blanchardstown. This makes him eligible for the Dublin county team too, but it seems Tommy Lyons only wants true blues in his squad.

"Dublin are not in the business of taking weaker counties' best players," he said. "I think it will be a long time before Dublin accept recognised inter-county footballers into our county to try and help us win the All-Ireland. It would be a shallow title, as far as I'm concerned.

"If we cannot win Sam over the next two or three years, with the men that we have in Dublin, then I will be happy that I have tried."

Lyons' attitude towards Gallagher, one of the best centre-forwards in the country, has surprised Erne county boss, Dom Corrigan.

"I'm surprised Dublin are not interested because I think he'd be well worth a place in their forwards," said Corrigan. "His talents are well documented and his free-taking ability is probably his single biggest asset and one Dublin could use well."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Gottabe the dubs

• Advertisement

Waylander it seems to me you are a man of significant intelligence and possibly even foresight.

C'mon you boys in blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

need i say any more :D

Flyz I think you should say more. Like .."your right alan, I was wrong to ever doubt you. The Dubs will win the All Ireland. I only hope you can forgive this old clown and help hime mend his evil ways"

now repeat after me Hill 16 la la la hill 16 la la la

Flyz I think you should say more. Like .."your right alan, I was wrong to ever doubt you. The Dubs will win the All Ireland. I only hope you can forgive this old clown and help hime mend his evil ways"

now repeat after me Hill 16 la la la hill 16 la la la

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 King of Arrakis

Dulin for Sam? Don't make me laugh!!! The Red Hands all the way!!! Revenge for '95!! Come September I'll be on the field at Croker Watching Peter Canavan lifting Sam Maguire!!!!
    C'mon Tyrone!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

i have to agree with everything Alany has to say about Gaa except about the dubs winning Sam, on that point i totally agree with King of Arrakis
    The Red Hands all the way!!! Revenge for '95!! Come September I'll be on the field at Croker Watching Peter Canavan lifting Sam Maguire!!!!
    and i will surely be standing beside him while god lifts Sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Yes!!!!! Tyrone all the way!!
    Who would bet against us? Consider the minor s (eg.in 2001 against dublin, sorry Alany) & u21 successes we have have had in recent years, and also include that we are national league champions and that we lost to Armagh in a replay, by 3 points, without the living legend that is Peter Canavan!!!
    Dubs for Sam?
    Unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Yes!!!!! Tyrone all the way!!
    Who would bet against us? Consider the minor s (eg.in 2001 against dublin, sorry Alany) & u21 successes we have have had in recent years, and also include that we are national league champions and that we lost to Armagh in a replay, by 3 points, without the living legend that is Peter Canavan!!!
    Dubs for Sam?
    Unlikely
    A great pool of talent that has been nurtured through the last several years? Yes, but it is no certainty of the Sam Maguire coming to the bushes. Being close to the All Ireland Champions is not enough. People remember the winners, not the runners up except your wife and your pet, and it should be remembered that no team can consistently call their absolute best team all the time - you will have injuries come up to your best players throughout the year and you must cope with that.

If Tyrone can find a solution to a weak midfield in particular and also sort out who to place in the centre half back and centre half forward postitions then they can be capable challengers. Otherwise once they come across a physical team who exploit the weaknesses that Tyrone have (a la Sligo), Tyrone won't cope. Mickey Harte will perhaps be able to nuture the exploits of some of the younger members of the panel better that Art & Eugene but with the complete farce the Tyrone county board handled the management situation in the Autumn doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

The only thing I can take heart from is that Tyrone are at their most dangerous when they haven't got the media attention on them. After winning the NFL in 2002 (a notable achievement but is more another rung on the ladder) they were subject to far too much hype along with Meath, Galway and Cork. Next year Armagh and Dublin are likely to suffer the brunt of it. I also wish this mentality in Tyrone where some of the supporters believe that they only have to turn up to win was thrown into Lough Neagh - the rewards only come from the effort put in in the first place and no Tyrone team over the last few years in the Championship has shown themselves to be consistently good over the championship (this includes 1995).

northern Corispondant....if that is your real name

You write so much..and the age of TV has given me a low attention span. could you sum that up in a couple of words ?

AS FOR YOU FECKIN TYRONE BARDS, YOU WONT WIN AT BINGO THIS YEAR..I NEED MORE DUBS TO COME TO MY AID....

im going to write a song..I only have the first line.

"oh Tyrone your all feckers with your big red hands and your big red necks"

as you can tell its about the love between a man and his sheep
    Baaaaaaaaa

wel Alany your last post did make me laugh!

You wont get any help from to many dubs because they are mostly drunken people who think they no everything!

*no offence to any admin's or mod's :cool:

Did you hear about the Dubliner with an inferiority complex?
    He thought other people were as good as he was!

Conor, Strange as this may seem, we dubs take that as a complament. So thanks.

There Will be dubs...If I build it, They will steal it.
    so Ill just ask them to post here

You're welcome, i'll give you some jack ''compliments'' anytime you want!
    Heck, I'll even compose you a song if you want!!
    Ask Iron Brew about my songs!!!

Northern Correspondant;
    Indeed, you have a valid point, Tyrone do have a weakness at centre half back, this is because this position is often occupied by Seán Teague, whom I have yet to see play a good game of football!
    I also agree with your comment on the lack of consistency.
    I have no doubt in my mind that Mickey Harte will rectify the problems in the Tyrone forward line, personally, i would love to see Brian Dooher moved into a wing back position and Brian Mc Guigan (who is not a corner forward and never has been) out into half fowards to exploit his playmaking attributes.
    The midfield should not be a problem as belive it or not there are plenty of excellent midfielders in Tyrone, as was demonstrated against Derry this year, Jarlath Quinn was superb and marked Anthony Tohill out of the game!! There are plenty more players similar to him floating around the club scene, its just they have yet to be introduced into the county scene.
    In conclusion, if Tyrone are to call up some bigger midfielders and avoid injury and become consistent, they are in with a shout!!
    Tír Eoghain Abú

Originally posted by kingconor
    The midfield should not be a problem as belive it or not there are plenty of excellent midfielders in Tyrone, as was demonstrated against Derry this year, Jarlath Quinn was superb and marked Anthony Tohill out of the game!!

marked Anthony Tohill out of the game... ?? :)

Anthony Tohill isnt the player he used to be 5 years ago.. even at club level hes not as good... which is sad for us Derry people...

If I remember correctly Sean Marty marked Peter 'the great' out of every game against Tyrone...

I cant see Jarlath Quinn doin that against Derry this year...

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly Sean Marty marked Peter 'the great' out of every game against Tyrone...
    You must have been watching a different game from me, Johnny, Peter "The Great" scored 0-7 that day 0-4 of which were from play, now if this is being marked out of the game, I'd love to see Wee Pete on a good day!

i was watching the same game...

Sean Marty Lockhart wasnt playin... he was injured :p

Then why say, that he marked Canavan out of the game?

:o I said
    If I remember correctly Sean Marty marked Peter 'the great' out of every game against Tyrone

but he didnt play the last one... therefore peter the great had an ok game....

doesnt matter anyway... cos tyrone wont win this year :p

aww i cnt wait til the 1st round. So that we can show derry how 2 b gay properly:rolleyes:

Where abouts in south derry r u from? M'felt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Hagi1513

what about teams like Galway and Kerry!!!!Kerry were barely beaten in the final last year and know they have Maurice Fitz back.Galway had a bad year but have a team of class footballers.Dublin won't .win the all ireland they are a poor team but the luckest shower of bastards ever.They won a poor Leinster championship,barely beatly Wexford in the first round,beating a poor mEath team on the slide,and beating a Kildare team that wouldn,t score in a whore house!!!!!

clearly thsi hagi fella is a mad as he is ugly (very)

The dubs had a superb team last year, Remember the lucky all ireland champs only beat us with a scrapy goal. and as for wexford ..you can only beat whats infornt of you. Which we did.

Also..we didnt need a second chance at any stage like many of the others like kerry.

The dubs will win the all Ireland. They will, they will, they will.

dammed culchies trying to shake my confidence. Feck off bog hoppers !

HAHAH actually I think the dubs will face munster or connaught in the final next year. I think ulster will fall flat on its face.

Ulster fall flat on its face? I'd like to see that, Ulster is the strongest province at the momoent, you all know it!!!
    Al Ireland Champions, National League champions, All Ireland Minor Champions and Ireland club and Feile na nÓg!!!!

Originally posted by Alany
    DUBLIN DUBLIN DUBLIN

the dubs are clearly the choice for next years Sam McGuire.
    They have the best manager, developing forwards , Fantastic midfielders, rock solid defence and without doubt the best keeper in the game.

They should be no discusion on who will will it..but just exactly how the dubs will win it !

C'mon the Dubs.

heard it all before.......what a loada s/hite. like england in soccer the dubs think every single all-ireland year was written for them. kerry, armagh and galway are light years ahead of yee.

GO BACK TO BED

• Advertisement

listen tipp gunner....im assuming the Tipp stands for the over sized monstrosity of a county in the arse end of no where.

your talking to me about football.

I scoff at your comments.
    But i will go back to bed, cause I have been up all night
    eating babies...

But mark my words my happy little country friends
    Dublin will win the league and c'ship this year..the o byrne cup too !

C'mon the dubs

Advertisement