Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 95 startup files missing: Himem.sys and and some of the other boys

• 13-12-2002 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hiyas,
    this is my first post in ages, anyway. One of my family members today told me that the computer's not starting up. So I took a look at it and it says that himem.sys and a few others are missing and windows 95 can't start. So I got a boot disk booted up with it and had a look on the c: drive and some of the main system files are gone. I'm pretty sure that my family didn't delete them, so I think we got a virus. Now I think I just reinstall windows 95 (it's an old computer so 95 will run the fastest on it), but if there's a virus in there what'll I do just install anti virus software and do a scan? I don't want to format cause there's files in there I wana keep. And can anyone tell me if I reinstall win95 will it erase what's currently on the desktop, if I reinstall to the same folder? Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

reinstalling windows will not harm any of your documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

well b4 all that id do a DOS SCANDISK

the files MAY have disappeared with BAD SECTORS of the hard drive

At the c: prompt in dos : scandisk c:/surface /autofix

i think

If this turns out to be ok, id then try and MAKE AN IMAGE of the hard drive onto a properly formatted decent one. use Norton Ghost or some such utility. This has the advantage of backin up your files AND system. This drive can be tested for viruses on a clean pc with the IMAGE DRIVE as the Secondary Drive.

Your problem of "Virus" can be sorted by downloading and using a DOS based AV Program b4 you fo the re-install.

You can skip the above step and go right into re-install, but make sure to get the virus sweep done ASAP at that point in case the files go again on you.

Tho probably roundabout and what not, I learned alot by messing about, but also got burned by not taking the precautionary measures first. The conservitive be me :D

Advertisement