Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't girls play electric guitar?

Options
  • 14-12-2002 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

After reading the Joan Jett post I was driven to wonder if there is a reason for this? Girls and electric guitars are just not a common phenomenon whereas almost every boy you meet has owned one at one stage in his/her life.

Our lead singer, Kathryn, plays electric guitar and not only is she normally the only female guitarist at any showcases/competitions we're at, nine times out of ten she's the only girl present out of all the bands! How come this has emerged so? Every girl I know that does play guitar can do so as well as their male contemporaries...

Is this just random chance that things have evolved this way or is there a real cause? Are the boys mean to the girls?

The only female electric guitarist that I can think of in Ireland (apart from Kathryn of Someday ;-) is Gemma Hayes...

Anybody know any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

well as of last week splinters have a new female bassist so does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

dollar short

playground psychotic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The hammoc district
    Mines a large one
    Sweet Jehova

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

well, theres
    Nina Hynes
    Catherine Dowling in Babelfish
    and the woman in Ash I guess (if she doesnt have to be a lead singer too)

that's not so many though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Well no matter how many you can name, the point remains that there are to few femail guitarists. some people don't like female vocals with guitars i guess that could be a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Playground Psychotic are a great band with three female members- their site is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

are you talking about Irish girls or just girls in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cizie

female guitarists are few but female drummers are even fewer! apart from myself, i only know one female drummer. *pfft* :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 THE JESSIES

Our drummer is female.

Jessica insane

Sat 21st

Da2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Not to be sexist, but I find most girls who try play guitar just give up, or are bad. From my experience anyway....

• Advertisement

girl drummers = seafood

and they are a ****IN great band as horsekick and panzer attack will verify

www.seafood.uk.com

again... brilliant

turn/idlewild/wilt vibe thing goin on

class

oh and beretta is a lady who plays drums

girl drummers = seafood

and they are a ****IN great band as horsekick and panzer attack will verify

www.seafood.uk.com

again... brilliant

turn/idlewild/wilt vibe thing goin on

class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Originally posted by Morn
    Girls and electric guitars are just not a common phenomenon whereas almost every boy you meet has owned one at one stage in his/her life.

HEH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

stevie nicks (i think)

velvet underground had a girl drummer

LA punk band X had a lead girl...

The runaways

Mybloodyvalentine (i think)

the breeders and the amps

Black flag had a girl bassist....

um...... who else..... amiee mann, fiona apple.

cat power etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

Originally posted by Giblet
    Not to be sexist, but I find most girls who try play guitar just give up, or are bad. From my experience anyway....

I would tentatively suggest that this kind of attitude may go a way towards explaining the dearth of female guitarists/musicians in rawk. That, and the fact that it is an overwhelmingly sexist and macho industry. It's hard enough to get up there if you not only have to contend with people's seemingly genetic aversion to supporting local bands, but also their inherent sexism. I have seen this at too many gigs to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Ms "rodrigo y gabriella" would kick the ass out of most male guitarists.

but most girls have small hands and
    small hands is a barrier in taking basic guitar skills up another level. In fairness artists mentioned like MBV,breeders,cat power play basic guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Basic guitar?

jesus... what do you want some guy **** the guitar ike in metallica or guns and roses.

BASIC?

SMells like a teen spirit is BASIC and its still great
    Where is my mind is BASIC and the song is amazing

and the comment on small hands?

if that is the case why do alot of girls play bass?

knobbles i'm sure there are lots of girls out there who are better guitarists than you'll ever be. (if in fact you play guitar, and i hope you don't with attitudes like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

MBV basic !?!

Yet another reason to add to the list why I hate this board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Oh wait, that was basic guitar play. But still, they're a great band and I've expressed my "reservations" about this board before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath before posting on this topic. Small hands. What were you thinking? I can only hope you were joking.

MBV didn't play basic guitar. Well, not basic in the 3 chords sense, anyway. You were right the first time, shorty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

The small hands thing could be an issue to people who aren't committed enough to overcome it ( e.g. me). I've known a fair few girls who've started learning to play guitar but then dropped it, this could be taking gender differences a bit too far but most guys i know, once they start on something like a musical instrument, get a lot more hooked and obsessive about it then girls. Same reason there are more male computer geeks, more competitive male sports ( why do i get the feeling i'm gonna be slapped for that one?). The girl bass players thing could in some cases be like Hilary from jj72, who was enlisted before she could play bass and they figured it was the quickest,easiest thing to learn so they'd have a hot chick in the band. Plus guys generally start wanting to learn guitar from when they're younger and by the time girls realise they'd like to, feel intimidated by how far behind they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Originally posted by Raggamuffin

knobbles i'm sure there are lots of girls out there who are better guitarists than you'll ever be. (if in fact you play guitar, and i hope you don't with attitudes like that)

Darn Tootin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Hmmm I have small hands and extremely bendy fingers and I manage ok....
    But girl musicians are rarer id say because of the idea that they have more to prove. Any female musician in a band is gonna be under scrutiny cos maybe if they look good its assumed they are there for eye candy... take any guy and girl musician at the same level and you can bet that people would be waiting for the girl to slip up. Just the way o the world i spose:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Jessica Insane drummer Brita was doing the Meg White thing about three years before that talentless wankstain. She is an amazing drummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

The only time woman should be mentioned in the same sentances as guitars is when you say that you 'double bassed' a girl last night.
    APART FROM
    P.J Havrey shes a woman and she plays the guitar and she sings and she causes me to do the sex wee everytime i looks at her.....

Ah Bandit. You certainly mix it up. For the good people and those uneducated in the ways of your sexual metaphor, explain what it is to 'double bass' a young lady?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Basic guitar?

jesus... what do you want some guy **** the guitar ike in metallica or guns and roses.

BASIC?

SMells like a teen spirit is BASIC and its still great
    Where is my mind is BASIC and the song is amazing

...apologies,no insult was intended. You're right, music doesn't get more amazing than the genius production of simple guitar like MBV's loveless.

and the comment on small hands?

very true but i don't aspire to be a great guitarist.

i obviously made a balls of my point, i was really just relating girls and lead guitar which is a rare site the last 40 years of all rock music, a possible explanation being small hands.

Reviewing the topic, i see we're not being asked about lead guitar playing like Slash but why so few girls play electric guitar at all. I'm not sure if we can convince each other on an answer for that...i can't explain that either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by the66electric
    Ah Bandit. You certainly mix it up. For the good people and those uneducated in the ways of your sexual metaphor, explain what it is to 'double bass' a young lady?

Whilst your both standing you penitrates the woman from behind and then feel around to her bare breast with one hand and her 'front bottom' with her other and it seems like your playing a double bass:p
    Take no maral high ground with me mr pop your the one who told me what it meant and i saw your drunken actions last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

..... well for one thing all that noise from strumming would interupt all the incessant nattering. :)

• Advertisement

Bandit, i take no moral high ground. How can i after a night out which included she-males, birds-eye baldness viewing, Fun snaps being pelted of a sleep hog, and an attempted 'Nudie-rape' of my sleeping self by you and yours.

I play double bass in a jazz band who perform freeform saxophone interpretations of Arnold Schwarzenegger films.

Advertisement