Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't girls play electric guitar?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Ok....... this is weird........

I like biscuits too.....

Shorty do you wanna form a band?

we shall call ourselves the Fig Rolls or the Jammy Dodgers or The Ginger Nuts

(copyright pending)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Nikki, the reason I specified electric guitar is I guess cos I believe that a lot more girls perform on acoustic guitar than on electric. In my experience there are a larger proportion of girls in a singer/songwriter vein than in an overdriven guitar vein.

And as for playing electric with bands - that's a bunch of stuff that ain't right. I know many bands who perform with acoustic guitars. I fronted one! And we certainly weren't an acoustic band!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭stickinikki

Originally posted by Morn
    Nikki, the reason I specified electric guitar is I guess cos I believe that a lot more girls perform on acoustic guitar than on electric. In my experience there are a larger proportion of girls in a singer/songwriter vein than in an overdriven guitar vein.
    oooh ok i getcha, yeh that's true, altho, personally..im in the overdriven guitar vein..but that's just me.

And as for playing electric with bands - that's a bunch of stuff that ain't right. I know many bands who perform with acoustic guitars. I fronted one! And we certainly weren't an acoustic band!

*backs away with hands in the air* i wont argue with an expert ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭renagade*

All girls interested in playing electric guitar should appease there fragil male peers egos by playing the base. It just looks fantastic . The obvious examples are Hillery from jj72 and Darcy from the Pumpkins. Its the way they handle the longest instrument on stage or something its ummmmmmm goood ahahaahha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 crashtestmonkey

Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Not that I have a full two cents to add, but I just wanted to say that anyone, can do anything they want, if they are dedicated enough. Technical guitar playing is great, but what we all want and crave is soul. We want to hear that persons deepest emotions come out in the music. Maybe I can only play open chords on the guitar, but I'll play tha s*** out of the G,C. I agree with NEMISIS. Women guitar players are hella sexy, and everything I do, is to impress women. Otherwise i'd just sit on my fat ass and eat cheesy poofs all day. :) Anyways, I'm mainly a singer, so I can't hide my skills with flash. They are either there or they're not.
    Just remember, everyone has a right to play and share their music, no matter how good or bad it is. We also have the right to change the channel.
    www.untyde.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

just letting u all know i do play electric guitar so women do play electirc guitars!!(hehe...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Eva

Originally posted by Morn
    but even the fact that people are pointing to girl-bands rather than bands that have girls as some of their members I think is indicative of something - maybe there is an underlying sexism in the guitar-playing world

I'd agree with Morn on this point - I don't think it's limited to electric guitars either, even if it is more obvious in that regard. Now before the "who's better than who" starts up again, it's not that I think that girls aren't as able to play as well as guys or anything remotely close. But I've been to more than few gigs in the last few years and for all the girls I've seen singing while backed up by some male friend/ brother/ impersonator on guitar, only once have I ever ever seen a guy backed up by another guy, and never once by a girl playing guitar.

List all the examples you like but the fact remains that the examples still out-number the counter-examples.

Ok, so the point of quite a few of these girls being on stage is to showcase their marvellous voices and they want to concentrate on that. Fair play to them. So does this mean that guys are twice the show-offs (:)) and want to display their skill at guitar as well or that it doesn't matter so much if a guy's voice isn't tone perfect?

~K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

I think that girls are more natural singers - they're not quite as self-conscious about it, so they don't feel the need to hide behind a guitar when they're singing...

Guys just think they're gonna look like prats if they just stand there singing like a choirboy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 crashtestmonkey

We need to do something with our hands, don't we? :)
    I've seen plenty of Guys just go up there and sing without holding a guitar (I'm one of em), doesn't mean they are any good at singing, either. :p Now what about those guys that hide behind a piano?! You think they are trying to hide enormous wood? Or does it all go to the fact that they are, shall we say, multi-talented? I'd play Guitar on stage if I was better at it, but currently, I can barely play rhythm.
    I say if you can sing, play the tamborine, strum the guitar, blow the flute through your nose, eat crackers, fart and still make it look good, do it. Man or woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by funktastic
    It'd be like going to see a gay male rock band ,it ain't gonna happen

I'm not even going to enter into the girls-can't-play-guitar argument (mostly 'cause Muppet Monarchy said everything I wanted to say). But re. gay men in rock - I think we've had a queers-in-rock thread on this board before. But to re-iterate:

Judas Priest (don't know if any other members other than Rob Halford were gay)
    Husker Du (always knew that Bob Mold was gay, recently found out Grant Hart is too)
    Michael Stipe (once described himself as an "equal opportunities lech":D , but has since come out a being in a long-term relationship with a fella)
    The Toilet Boys (the only all-gay rock/punk band I can think of, but part of a larger "queercore" scene I haven't really, um, delved into.)

I'm sure there are loads more, just can't think of any off the top of me head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

bob mould is gay?

and the toilet boys....

wow

wonder what the homophobes will have to say about this one.

i have a girl guitarist in my band so there

Excuse me Im all woman!!!

Tee he he!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

in the immortal words of noel gallagher
    "girls are crap at guitar - it's cos their tits get in the way and they've got long fingernials, innit?"

of course i don't agree, there are many fine example of girls guitar players out there... avril lavigne for instance and mark greaney...

actually, i know some girls who kick at guitar, but it's very hard for a girl to be taken seriously playing guitar... look at heart...poor anne and nancy...

anyway. guitar is good. more ppl should play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    i have a girl guitarist in my band so there

Band? LOL!!!

Originally posted by Lolo
    re. gay men in rock ...
    I'm sure there are loads more, just can't think of any off the top of me head.

The Buzzcocks! How the f u c k did I forget the Buzzcocks? (slaps side of head indignantly)

Alledgedly Heart were pretty good in the 70s, before they went all AOR (alledgedly - I've never heard any 70s Heart). For kick ass 70s rock chick action though, check out Fanny or the Runaways. No, I'm not taking the piss, there really was a 70s female rock band called Fanny. They've just released a retrospective: http://www.mwe3.com/reviews/reissue01.htm#Review3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

the buzzcocks?

really?

i Can;t beleive how little i know of all this

Originally posted by Shorty
    Band? LOL!!!

Shorty! Shudduppa yo mouf!

hehehe!

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    the buzzcocks?

really?

i Can;t beleive how little i know of all this

Again, I don't know about the whole band but Shelley and Diggle fer sure. It's probably why they were more melodic and pop-oriented than most of the other British punk bands, 'cause they wanted to be subversive by writing gay love songs with catchy tunes.

Ironically, the other gay British new wave icon, Tom Robinson, has since got married to a woman and had kids.

Advertisement