Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom still splitting lines?

Options
  • 14-12-2002 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I spoke to a guy today who said he'd had a very fast net connection until "Two guys from eircom turned up and started fiddling with some box on a telegraph pole a few weeks ago and my connection speed has dropped dramatically ever since then and there's a crackle on my line"

Sounds like Eircom are splitting lines still! Isn't this illegal now?

Sad thing is, he said I suppose there's no point complaining to them, it's not like they'd do anything.

*fume*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Didn't think those boxes effected the quality of voice lines.
    A crackle will mean that the line isnt connected properly or is damaged in some way.

Doesn't necessarily mean they put a splitter on it.

Crackle = noise = degrades performance.

Ring em and complain cos a crackle on the line caused by them would have to be fixed as the product isnt of 'merchantable quality' .

Make sure your friend explains that he saw people working on the pole and that after that the noise was on the line. ie caused by their workers. Otherwise they will make you pay to replace the current line that ypu have. Costs about €100.

(To answer your question. I think they are illegal. or Eircom at least agreed not to use them any more or something. )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It damn well is illegal now (or rather - they said they wouldn't be doing it any more after April)

There are a few posts about this on the IOFFL board -or Muck has the details of the promise if your friend might be tempted to make a little complaint to the ODTR/CCR, eth0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

lets see, he's dropped from 40 something Kbit to half that. That sounds like a splitter ( pairgain or dacs ) all right....and they were seen doing it :) .....yummm. B-K-DzR is correct in saying that a splitter does not cause a crackle but loose wiring after a bodge by eircom staff does cause crackling so it need not be a splitter. Generally you get booted off by 'crackles' rather than slow down as he said to you.

Tell him to register on the Boards here and to post the details if he wants help. One does not expect a precise name and address from him but a bit of info is always a help ....... Kennett also has a similar complaint ongoing with a post April 2002 linesplit.

Tell your mate he now has half a line for the same monthly rental.

Make sure he tells all his neighbours to note their typical speeds as well, they normally try to split someone elses line when fixing yours in the hope it isn't 'noticed' .

M

Advertisement